Wendell the Wandering Wabbit's Travel Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, still waiting on him here. :) it can take a couple weeks though shouldn't be too much longer. Hoping he arrives today as we''re going to a rabbit show on Sunday.

Never fear, Wendell is here!!! :D

He's a little bit jet-lagged, but I'm sure he'll want to tell you all about his journey once he's had a bit of time to rest and be refreshed!

Great to here he´s arrived down under. I bet he´ll be so excited to see a new place. Can´t wait to hear about his adventures over there, have a great time Wendell !!!

G’day all, Wendell here! :D

I must say that I am thrilled to be back on the ground after that very long leg of my journey. Did you know the flight from Los Angeles to Melbourne is about 13 hours! And that’s only ONE of the flights. Needless to say I’m a little bit tired after my journey, and also a little bit confused about what day it is. I’m sure I boarded my flight in LAX on Wednesday, but somehow a little more than 13 hours later, it’s now Friday? Oh well, Azerane (Bec) my host seems to understand it so I’ll leave it to her.

Did you know they don’t allow real live rabbits into Australia? I certainly do now, there was a bit of a mix-up at customs when they said I was fine to come in since I was a toy rabbit. Can you believe that? A toy! Anyway, I set them straight about that, although it did mean some delays.

My first day so far has been quite nice. I got to have a nice rest when I first arrived before being introduced to Bandit. He seems a nice rabbit and although our first meeting was only short, I think we’ll get along very well, we have matching fur colours. :)

We didn’t do much else today since I only arrived in the afternoon, and it’s winter here so the days are shorter. Azerane looked up a map for me on her laptop and showed me just how far I'd flown, it was practically the whole world! I also had my picture taken by a fountain just outside their house, it was a little bit windy so I just hope my fur isn’t blowing everywhere in the photo. I’ve asked Azerane to attach some pictures at the end of this post.

Hopefully there are more Aussie adventures to come soon.

Gotta bounce,
Wendell.

IMG_1161 Bandit and Wendell sm.jpg

IMG_1169 Bandit and Wendell sm.jpg

IMG_1176 Wendell Map sm.jpg

IMG_1179 Wendell Fountain sm.jpg

Yay for Wendell! So glad your trip went relatively smoothly, even though it took forever and you got held up a bit. Can't believe the people at the airport said you weren't real! How do you like Australia? Bandit is so cute, he looks like you!

Thanks guys. I'm liking Australia quite a lot, although here in Adelaide I'm told it's the wettest, coldest week they've had all year, so the weather hasn't been great. My host says she likes summer the best. It snowed on Saturday on a nearby low mountain, and apparently it only snows there one night every few years! So it's a big deal here!

Despite the weather, on Sunday we actually went out to a rabbit show. Azerane had never been before so we stopped in just for a short bit to look at all the different rabbits. Lops seem to be very popular here as they were most of the breeds. We did see two very nice siamese Smoke Pearls which are the same breed as Bandit, just the siamese instead of marten colouring. All the rabbits were beautiful, though unfortunately no photos from the day.

Bandit and I have also been getting along some more. I helped him with some harness training and he let me play with his toys, what a nice guy! On Wednesday it's supposed to be sunny and Azerane said we're going to go for a walk in a park to see some kangaroos, she says it's the best park she knows of to reliably see wild kangaroos up close! I'm so excited! She also says that they have a brush-tailed possum that visits their garden at night time, but because of the bad weather she hasn't heard or seen it yet since I arrived. I really hope he comes by while I'm here!

IMG_1194 Wendell Playing sm.jpg

IMG_1203 Bandit Wendell Harness sm.jpg

IMG_1211 Bandit Wendell DBF sm.jpg

Hi Wendell

Daisy Mae, Winston and Vega miss you but are glad you made it DownUnder safely. It looks like you are having a wonderful time. Looking forward to more pictures.

The gang

Are you helping Bandit learn agility? You have had a few lessons. I am not sure he would be too keen about you riding him, so maybe you can coach him and show him how it's done.

Sounds like you are having lots of fun.

Thanks for the well-wishes Soooska, tell Daisy Mae, Winston and Vega that I miss them too! It's pretty quiet coming from your place to a one bunny household!

Bandit tells me that he would be good at agility, he says he jumps very high. Perhaps I will have to teach him a trick or two before I go!

Now let me tell you about my day, and what a day it was! I think I mentioned that Azerane was planning to take me to try and see some kangaroos today. She felt bad about going because Bandit was ill this morning (though he seems better now which is good). We went for a nice scenic drive to a conservation park in a place called the Barossa, apparently they make a lot of wine here, not that I've ever tasted any, but the name Jacob's Creek did ring a bell. Anyway, it was a cool but beautiful sunny day, and we were barely walking for 15 minutes when we found some kangaroos!! It was really exciting. Azerane tells me that they're Western Grey Kangaroos, they were very big and seemed very calm with us walking by and we got quite close. She took my picture with some of the kangaroos, we even got to see several kangaroos with a joey in their pouch, how cute! Azerane is big on bird-watching so she took a list of all the species we saw, which was about 25 species. We even got to hear some Laughing Kookaburras, what a sound that was.

After our walk in the park, we went and played some mini golf. Well, Azerane and her fiance played, I mostly just watched and acted as cheer squad while trying not to be tempted to taste the putting greens. The mini golf place actually had some big dinosaurs there, sometimes they made sounds and I was almost sure I saw one of them move at some point, they look so real. I'm glad that they're not, although Azerane tells me that they were real many, many years ago. I wouldn't like to meet a real one.

After the mini golf and a delicious lunch at the bakery (pies and pasties), we went to visit my host's mum and her partner since they lived nearby. They still have her cat living with them, she's 17 years old and I thought she wanted to eat me but Azerane told me I was just being silly. Azerane brought her mum flowers to celebrate, apparently she just got a first clean follow-up scan after breast cancer treatment. Fantastic! They took some family photos and then we took the scenic return drive home, which included getting to see an Emu crossing the road, what big birds they are, I could barely believe my eyes.

After such a big day I'm pretty worn out, when we got home we were glad to see that Bandit was doing better, hopping around and eating some. I'm glad he's feeling well again.

Now for some photos! (My legs were getting tired in the third one.)

IMG_1219 Wendell Kangaroo.jpg

IMG_8158 Wendell on rock.jpg

IMG_8172 Wendell view.jpg

IMG_8178 Kangaroo with Joey.jpg

IMG_1236 Wendell Dinosaur.jpg

IMG_1249 Wendell Dinosaur.jpg

Wow, you've had a long day haven't you Wendell? So sorry to hear that Bandit was sick, hopefully he's doing better now. I love the kangaroo's and the dinosaurs are so.....Scary! Good thing they aren't real!

I laughed and laughed at the picture where it looks like you're running away from the dinosaur! Too funny! How cool that you saw kanagaroos, you are a lucky bunny. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time in Australia. I'm glad Bandit is feeling better and that Azerane's mom is free of cancer, hooray!

Soon Wendell will be headed off to visit the very last person who signed up to host him. Actually, quite a few other people signed up to host him, too, but they stopped posting on the forum or didn't respond to my PMs when I asked if they were ready for him to visit :( So now we have a choice to make: Should he keep traveling around to forum members that want to host him a second time, should I try to organize an on-forum auction (the money from which would go to a bunny charity), or should we do a combination of the two and let him re-visit whoever wants to host him again, THEN auction him off? Please chime in with your opinions :D

Should he keep traveling around to forum members that want to host him a second time

I'd keep him traveling as long as he's got available hosts - Natasha and I would be happy to have him visit again.

You could ask for new volunteers, too. Maybe we've got some new members who'd like to be his host.

Latest posts

Back