Wendell the Wandering Wabbit's Travel Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww, look at Wendell with the camel :D What a brave bunny! Sorry he didn't share his carrots with you, dude! Where did you run into the camel?

Awww I love camels! They're so fun! I rode a camel once, it was...different, especially different from horses.
Glad Wendell had fun with the camel, even though he was a carrot hog!

Wendell checking in here...I am starting to pack my bags as I am headed off to visit Shya in a few days. I have had a lovely visit in Washington and we also had a great new years eve...Here are some photos

P1140992.jpg

P1140993.jpg

Wow I have finally managed to catch up with your Christmas Wendell and all your wonderful travels after, you have sent in some fantastic photos and I love the one of you next to Luke while he eats his or should it be your carrot. Very brave of you to ride on the camel, well done you.

Wendall here! I made it to Oklahoma finally. I actually came in the mail yesterday but with everything that went on with Shya I didn't get picked up till this morning!

I was ready to party!
box1-6551.jpg

Katie left a very nice note and some goodies for Kaley and her Warren. Thank you Katie and Muppet!

candid1-6552.jpg

As it was very early we took this nice candid photo of Omar.

rabbit-shelf-6556.jpg

While Kaley got ready for work I hung around on the rabbit shelf.

minion-6554.jpg

The Kai minion is just my size!

keurig-6553.jpg

We start our day with a nice cup of coffee. To go! We were running late for formation.

shots-6558.jpg

It was a really busy day so I mostly stayed with the medics and learned all kinds of neat things. The Army is a very strange place. There are all these acronyms and strange words I didn't understand. I'm sure I'll pick up the lingo soon enough. So far so good. Looking forward to what tomorrow brings. Omar is going to take me with him to his work.
There always seems to be something going on around here. There are all sorts of people and furries to meet!

Oh my gosh, Wendell has access to needles and syringes now! So he will be able to add medic to his resume, how awesome! What does Omar think of Sir Wendell? I remember he was pretty impatient for Wendell to visit :D

Wendell here. Having some issues with my account, but Kaley was nice enough to let me use hers!
Omar was very excited that I came in the mail! He had off today (sat) and planned a very busy day for us. We went to many places that I will break it up into several posts.
Where didn't we go would be a much better question to ask on how my wanderings went today.

We started off with a neat drive out to the training side of Ft. Sill to visit Geronimo's grave. Only the original 100 that were moved from this area and their decedents are allowed to be buried here.
geronimos-grave-6581.jpg

Since we were on the training side, we decided to visit a training area that we found unlocked. It's used to train new troops coming in room clearing procedures, and how to handle themselves in a "town."

Omar swears he heard something moving inside this old car. He had problems with animals all day that lead to some rather hilarious situations.
wendell-training-site-1-6585.jpg

Can anyone guess what kind of car this was?

training-site-2-6583.jpg

It was a little bit creepy and we didn't stay very long
training-site-3-6584.jpg

We crossed some railroads tracks and of course my wandering spirit could not resist
wendell-wandering-6586.jpg

"Oh I waaaaaaaaander...." It's the start of a cadence I heard this morning. Cadence is something the military uses to keep their troops in step when they're marching and as sort of a work song to keep troopers motivated. Some of them are quite interesting.

Since we were up and early this morning I helped Kaley with her Red Bull to get me through the day. She's supposed to be quitting.
red-bull-wendell-6582.jpg

We went to the Artillery Museum. There were so many different types of guns that I only took a few pictures of my favorites. Some of them were so big lets play Wheres Wendell!!
artillery-museum-1-6571.jpg

This is a Bradley. Kaley rode in alot of these back in her Ft. Benning days. The only thing we could figure is the TOW missile located in the darker box on the right is what warranted this a spot in the Artillery Museum.

Howitzers Then
artillery-museum-2-6572.jpg

And Now!
artillery-museum-3-6573.jpg

(look towards the barrel of the gun. There I am!)

artillery-museum-4-6574.jpg

artillery-museum-5-6575.jpg

This thing must have been 20 feet long or more! I saw the word warhead on the placard so that's what we're going with. As we were walking around the base of it this bird flew out of no where right towards Omars chest! Thankfully he has longer legs then me as we hustled out of the way.
I like how the Army put their name on it. Maybe in case they lose it, it can be returned to them?

artillery-museum-7-6577.jpg

This one was my most favorite. It's an 88mm anti-tank, anti-aircraft artillery. It was used during World War 2 to really give the Germans a shellacking. You see it in a lot of WW2 movies. You can't really see me but I'm sitting closer to the round barrel part.

This one was just a bit more my size
artillery-museum-6-6576.jpg

Some examples of what goes in the guns
thumb1_artillery-museum-8-6578.jpg

I got it now! Ready! Aim! FIRE FOR EFFECT!!
artillery-museum-9-6579.jpg

*Kaley's note: I'm not sure who was the worse influence Wendell or Omar!*

artillery-museum-10-6580.jpg

Lastly the Artilleryman statue. Ft sill teaches new troops how to be artillerymen so they get their own statue. "SPC Cannon"
Ft Benning is the home of the Infantry. They have Iron Mike "Lead the way." I wonder how many other places and statues there might be. I may get to find out!

We also visited the Ft sill museum, Mt Scott, the Wild life Refuge and a few other places. I will post about them tomorrow. It is certainly time for bed now and am I ever beat!

Ok one more post since I'm still waiting for that RedBull to wear off.

We went out to Torres stables to find Big deuce (a donkey) and short round (his companion goat.) But neither of them were in residence for some reason. Big Deuce is the mascot for 2-2 field artillery. He has his own newsletter and there has been a Deuce and Short round for several decades. Field Artillery use to be moved by donkeys and horses. Since there are more technological ways of moving the artillery they keep the donkey around for more sentimental purposes. I was a little bit upset I didn't get to meet them but I took this great picture!
double-deuce-6590.jpg

Military animals hold a rank higher than their handlers so they can not be abused. You can be punished for abusing a working animal and the punishments are quite severe.

artillery-horses-6588.jpg

These are the Artillery Color Guard horses, because of that they all look exactly alike! They use these guys for special ceremonies where they will actually pull a cannon. None of the animals with the exception of that bird felt like getting very close for a picture.

artillery-horse-stables-6587.jpg

This horse at their stables stood still long enough for a picture.

artillery-stable-2-6589.jpg

There are all kinds of things around here made just for me apparently.

Latest posts

Back