Wendell the Wandering Wabbit's Travel Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
This is the blog of Wendell, our forum's traveling stuffed bunny! As Wendell goes on his journey to forum members around the world, his adventures will be documented in this blog. For more information about how to sign up, check out this thread!

First of all, meet Wendell. He was crocheted with love by me and he has a wanderer's spirit.

IMG_8329resized.jpg

Let the fun begin :D

Hi everyone! Wendell here. I'm beginning my trip in the city where I was born, which is Fairbanks, Alaska. Within an hour or two of my birth, I was off seeing Alaska with Shiloh, her husband, and her mother- and father-in-law!

The very first thing we did was visit a bush plane. I'll be traveling on lots of planes so I'd better get used to it! Uh, hopefully the front window of the planes I travel on will NOT be covered with plastic sheeting.
IMG_8295resized.jpg

I also got to hitch a ride on a dogsled! Okay, we didn't actually go anywhere because there wasn't any snow and the humans wouldn't agree to being hitched up to it. Harumph! A rabbit can dream though, can't he?
IMG_8299resized.jpg

Where's Wendell? This is an example of a trapper's cabin. Good thing there weren't any trappers around to try and catch me!
IMG_8301resized.jpg

Then we visited Creamer's Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. While normally I prefer all things lapine, the bird refuge was really interesting. It's on the site of an old dairy farm that was made into a bird refuge. Thousands or maybe even millions of birds stop by every year while migrating! In the background you can see some Sandhill Cranes and the old dairy buildings. Those were some big birds!
IMG_8305resized.jpg

Our next stop was the local feed store! The humans needed to stock up on food for their pet bunnies. What nice folks! Here I am with an Alaska Grown T-shirt. Lots of people here wear them. I'm Alaska grown, why isn't there a shirt small enough for me?!
IMG_8307resized.jpg

These are some fur hats that were made locally. Kind of creepy if you ask me, but they're supposed to be very warm for those poor minimally furred humans!
IMG_8308resized.jpg

Mmm, smoked salmon! Okay, bunnies don't eat salmon, but it's supposed to be good.
IMG_8309resized.jpg

Look, a great big jug of beer! This bottle is from a popular local brewery called Silver Gulch.
IMG_8312resized.jpg

Finally, what we came for! A gigantic bag of bunny food. Mmmm, made me hungry!
IMG_8313resized.jpg

Apparently the humans were getting hungry as well because our next destination was Hot Licks, a small local company that makes delicious ice cream.
IMG_8318resized.jpg

Rabbits can't eat ice cream, so we also stopped by Shave Ice Sisters for some Hawaiian shave ice. It's a brand new little bitty business run by some very nice young women. One of them posed with me for a photo...
IMG_8319resized.jpg

And made me a delicious caramel apple shave ice! She said it was her favorite and that's why I ordered it. I agree: Yummy.
IMG_8321resized.jpg

After our snack, we headed out to investigate the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. This is the great big pipe that pumps crude oil from Prudhoe Bay in Northern Alaska to Valdez in Southern Alaska. It is huge and hundreds of miles long!
IMG_8325resized.jpg

This cross section of the Pipeline gives you an idea of how large it is.
IMG_8331resized.jpg

After our big adventure, we headed back to Shiloh's house and I got to commune with the resident rabbits. This little fellow, Ned, was very intent on eating dandelions, but he was quite a friendly chap and I think we would be great pals! I would have enjoyed chatting longer, but the humans had a surprise for me...
IMG_8344resized.jpg

A local street AND a bridge were named in my honor! How splendid. Not everyone can say that, ya know!
IMG_8339resized.jpg

What an exciting day. The next day I knew I would be off to my next adventure, so I made sure to get a good night's sleep. You know how tiring traveling can be!
IMG_8293resized.jpg

Thankfully, the humans made me a nice and cozy traveling box. I said goodbye to my new friends (minus Shiloh, who was manning the camera)....
IMG_8337resized.jpg

Then climbed into my first class travel accommodations!
IMG_8346resized.jpg

My next stop is Houston, Texas, where I will be spending time with forum member Woahlookitsme. Hopefully she has sunblock for me. I'm sure Texas is pretty different from Alaska and I can't wait to get there! Check back soon!

So glad everyone is enjoying his blog thus far :D I hope he's doing okay on his trip to Houston! FedEx is annoyingly vague with their updates. It says he isn't even in transit yet, but surely he is, 3 days after being mailed?!

Poor wendall stuck in his box...hopefully he keeps busy thinking about all the cool adventures!!

Larry, that sounds like it would have been awesome! How confusing for Wendell. Hot in Alaska, cold in Nevada! I kind of wish I could have taken with me to Seattle in a couple of weeks. But I resisted the urge since the entire point is for him to visit forum members, not just hang out with me all the time :D

Thanks, Katie! I couldn't decide where it should go: Here with the other blogs, or in Let Your Hare Down with the other Wendell thread :)

Hopefully he doesn't asphyxiate! Not only did I not poke holes, I put him inside a plastic bag first in case his box got wet! And you know what's printed on all those plastic bags: "keep away from children" :shock: Didn't say anything about wandering wabbits though so hopefully he will be okay!

According to tracking, Wendell left Illinois early this morning. His delivery date was today but has been pushed back to tomorrow, maybe because of the forest fires. Hopefully he gets through soon (and hopefully the fire comes under control!).

It's a shame Wendell couldn't stay here longer! A local used bookstore is kicking off a contest. Lots of little businesses around town are participating. It's a "Where's Waldo?" contest! Each business will have a little Waldo somewhere inside and you have to find it, then the business will give you a little card. If you collect a certain number of cards and turn them in to the bookstore, you get entered into a drawing for some Where's Waldo books. Wouldn't that have been fun for Wendell to participate in? Oh well :)

Woo! According to the tracking info, Wendell has arrived at Woahlookitsme's house :D Hopefully we will hear from them soon!

Latest posts

Back