weird thing sticking out on bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:))

Reaction score
My rabbit had an accidental litter and the babies are about 4 weeks now..most of them have this weird thing sticking out of their backs and the skin is veiny and red..I wish to take them to the vet but my rabbit had 10 more kits today and I can’t spend this much money on them I’m young and can’t make money on my own yet...not to mention the fact that I don’t have any local small animal vets...please help

You will have a lot of work, I would take away the 4 weeks bunny because they will fight with the younger kits for food and might hurt them. But they are still too young to be weaned yet. Do you have another doe with kits so you can split her babies, to make it easier of taking care. Or can you hand feed them.

Take a picture and post on how they look like, it will be easier for people to see.

Right, the older kits need to be separated, they don't care about the nest and raid the milk buffet. 4 weeks is old enough to wean them, it's not ideal but ok. It's the normal thing to do in case of back to back litters, they'll manage.

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean with "wierd thing sticking out", a picture really would help a lot.

Hi, can you post some pics of this weird thing I can't imagine what it could be? Also some pics of their setup would help to understand your situation.

Do you still have father rabbit staying in with the mother rabbit or they are already separated? I would suggest separating him asap otherwise you will have ten more babies in 30 days time!

What is the problem with their skin do you keep them in or outdoor? How many babies were in first litter?

You will have a lot of work, I would take away the 4 weeks bunny because they will fight with the younger kits for food and might hurt them. But they are still too young to be weaned yet. Do you have another doe with kits so you can split her babies, to make it easier of taking care. Or can you hand feed them.

Take a picture and post on how they look like, it will be easier for people to see.

Mom hasn’t been letting them eat and they don’t seem interested in milk anymore I know it’s too soon..and no I don’t have another doe... I’m going to upload a photo. it’s very hard to see no matter how hard I try to get a good photo because hair is stuck to it

Right, the older kits need to be separated, they don't care about the nest and raid the milk buffet. 4 weeks is old enough to wean them, it's not ideal but ok. It's the normal thing to do in case of back to back litters, they'll manage.

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean with "wierd thing sticking out", a picture really would help a lot.

I separated the babies they can still see mom but can’t get to her or the babies..I will upload a photo though it’s hard to see

Hi, can you post some pics of this weird thing I can't imagine what it could be? Also some pics of their setup would help to understand your situation.

Do you still have father rabbit staying in with the mother rabbit or they are already separated? I would suggest separating him asap otherwise you will have ten more babies in 30 days time!

What is the problem with their skin do you keep them in or outdoor? How many babies were in first litter?

Male and female are separated..they are kept outdoors and the first litter was 6

Photo isn’t very clear I’m sorry it’s hard to see irl too

Attachments

• E515182B-4EFB-4E5E-BFF0-52BC6B36D2B4.jpeg
    E515182B-4EFB-4E5E-BFF0-52BC6B36D2B4.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 42

Inside and outside of hutch ...the inside hutch connects to inside of a shed

Attachments

• EC8FEADE-7FAC-45AF-944E-AAB31F89642B.jpeg
    EC8FEADE-7FAC-45AF-944E-AAB31F89642B.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 2C3C9591-6BC4-4AE7-AA83-98D26CA6EBE7.jpeg
    2C3C9591-6BC4-4AE7-AA83-98D26CA6EBE7.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 147ABF88-ECCB-40EE-AE83-A3AE76BAA711.jpeg
    147ABF88-ECCB-40EE-AE83-A3AE76BAA711.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 27
The picture looks like it might be ringworm, a fungal infection. Starts as an itchy red bump then expands in a circle, forming a reddish ring. The center heals and fur starts to grow in. Treatment: slice a fresh garlic clove and rub the raw juice on the lesions. It should heal in a few days. Wash your hands carefully after treating since it is contagious and can spread to humans.

I wouldn't recommend the garlic technique personally. I haven't tried it myself, but I had heard about it while combating my rabbit's episodes of ringworm, and the findings weren't very promising, especially on rabbits. @HomesteadRabbits - I'm super curious if you've tried this and have had consistent success?

If it is ringworm, itraconazole (oral liquid medicine), silver sulfadiazine (topical cream), and/or clotrimazole (topical liquid) are all rabbit-safe methods of treating it. It can be nice to have a little jar of silver sulfadizine on hand in general, because it's a good cream if something burn-related happens to you or your rabbit (goodness forbid that ever happens. but it's multifunctional), such as urine scalding.

Raw garlic is very effective at treating ringworm on humans. I have used it personally on myself and children and highly recommend it. Creams (such as clotrimazol) take much longer to treat and didn't always work. I have never used garlic on my rabbits since they have never had a case of ringworm, but have treated a cat and steers with it successfully. It is possible that rabbits may be more sensitive to garlic, but I would be more concerned about them ingesting the chemicals from the creams than garlic as they lick themselves.

That being said, mites are much more common in rabbits than ringworm. They can be suffocated by covering the scabby areas with olive oil. Just mentioned ringworm because it looks like a circular ring in the photo. More photos of the concern would be very helpful...

It's best to get a rabbit friendly vet see the area on your rabbit's back, so that you will know for certain exactly what it is, and what is the best way to treat it.

Latest posts

Back