Weird rotting spot on nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creeksidelc

Reaction score
I have a seven month San Juan female rabbit thatrecently has started losing hair on her nose, and it is turning redunderneath, and looks almost like the nose is rotting off.The affected area is starting to spread. She is also veryaggregressive, and will growl at me when I get near the cage and try tobite me if I reach inside. Does anyone know what is going onwith her, and if it is contagous to other rabbits and humans.Thanks for the help.

Is she with another rabbit? Could the otherrabbit have bit her nose? (I've read about two rabbits that one bit offthe otherones nose). Does it seem infected at all? Is there any chanceof getting her to see a vet?

I'm moving this to the Infirmary.

This could be mange, which rabbits do get. It could also be anasty infection. Either way, you need to take her to a vet.

I agree with Angieluv- she may be aggressive because she is in pain.

Could be a fungal or bacterial infection. Really needs to be examined by the vet for proper treatment!

Pam

Just a guess, but it may be illegal to own a SanJuan Rabbit whereCreekside is, thus a visit to the vet isn'tin the picture. Also, Creekside may also be raising the SanJuans as sport rabbits and may nothave much incentive to saveits life.He/shedidn't respond to PMslooking for more information, so we assume he/she is no longerinterested, but just in case, the question of whether such an infectionwould becontagious to the rest of the herd hasn't beenaddressed.

For future reference, are fungal and bacterial infections like thiscontagious, and are there any home treatments that may work?

RO Staff

Many over-the-counter medications are availablefor fungal as well as bacterial infections. A properdiagnosis would be needed to proceed with correct treatment.

Pam

Latest posts

Back