Weird patch of fur on head??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Here I come with another incredibly stupid bunny question. Arlo is 3 months and I’ve had him for a month. There’s this weird patch of fur on his head (wasn’t really sure how to word it) is this normal??

Attachments

• E2062DB0-420B-4C85-93CA-DE37A2529C07.jpeg
    E2062DB0-420B-4C85-93CA-DE37A2529C07.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 11
Looks to me like he started his first molt! That looks like a molt line to me!

I'm sure the others can weigh in as well, but this is super-normal. Just make sure to brush him a lot to help remove the molting hair, so he doesn't ingest too much. You can also just use a wet hand when you pet him!

Here's a link to the best comb I've found to help with molting:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZXF81G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Your little one is growing up! ☺

Just another note: Sir Lawrence is a lionhead boy, so he's got long hair around his neck (a mane) and around his backside (his skirt). His first few molts were very awkward! 😂 He didn't really know how to deal with it, and there was hair EVERYWHERE. His coat and colors would change each time. Eventually, the molts got less and less drastic, and now he still visibly molts, but its not as drastic.

So don't be worried if Arlo's coat changes or his color changes, it's all part of the process!

Oh, and another tip that worked great for Lawrence (but not to much for Lucas) is to use a lint roller to help remove some of the molted hair. It can be scary for them, but it gently gets A LOT of the hair off. You just have to see how the bun reacts!

Not a stupid rabbit question! He is just molting! Just like @SirLawrence said, brush him a lot to keep him from ingesting too much fur. I do not have the brush SirLawrence linked because it doesn't work well on Rex fur, but I have also heard it is amazing on other rabbits. I have so many brushes since Rex fur is one of a kind, so if you need any brush recommendations let me know.

My little Honey just got these lines on her head too and they're a different color20210404_125535.jpg - so I'm glad you asked the question cuz I wasn't sure what was going on either!

She's not a huge fan of it. Mostly because my kids are little jerks 😅 She's really sweet with me if they're not around. Trying to figure out how to do free roam with toddlers is going to be interesting.

Latest posts

Back