Weird mouth movements?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pompomelo

Reaction score
I Recently rescued an “Easter Bunny” who looks to be 6 weeks old at the most :(

He’s been doing well except for this mouth movement he does almost every 10-ish minutes.
it looks as if he has a piece of hair stuck in his throat and he’s moving his tongue in and out to try and dislodge it. He‘ll do it a couple times in a row and then look fine?
his mouth also always looks wet... or as if his fur has dried clumpy. But I can’t tell if his nose is runny (he’s black in color) because he is also really bad at drinking water...almost always he will cough/sneeze afterwards.

I've never had a Rabbit this young... is it his teeth growing? Is it a respiratory problem?

he’s eating well (not a lot of Timothy hay but a good amount of pellets and alfalfa) and his poops look good too.
I’m really worried about him :( literally any insight and advice would help!! Thank you!

Drooling, odd chewing behavior, and problems eating/drinking, are all signs consistent with dental issues. Though it's unusual in such a young rabbit, if the teeth are severely maloccluded, then problems can develop quickly because rabbits teeth are always growing.

Medirabbit: dental problems

The only way to know for sure is to have an experienced rabbit vet check your rabbits teeth.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Drooling, odd chewing behavior, and problems eating/drinking, are all signs consistent with dental issues. Though it's unusual in such a young rabbit, if the teeth are severely maloccluded, then problems can develop quickly because rabbits teeth are always growing.

Medirabbit: dental problems

The only way to know for sure is to have an experienced rabbit vet check your rabbits teeth.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

That video was really helpful!! I would say he’s doing something like that expect instead of moving his head up, he goes down. And the symptoms seem to match.... maybe his bottom front teeth and pressing too close together? They look like one single tooth! But
he has an appointment this coming Tuesday (I wish I had seen the vet list before booking because a recommended one wasn’t that far away😅) but at least I feel like some of my worry has gone away,
Thank you so much JBun!
He looks relaxed so I’m hoping he’ll be good for the next couple days. (sorry he’s messy 🥴)579CE471-3369-4202-9A3B-D760B4F241DD.jpeg

That video was really helpful!! I would say he’s doing something like that expect instead of moving his head up, he goes down. And the symptoms seem to match.... maybe his bottom front teeth and pressing too close together? They look like one single tooth! But
he has an appointment this coming Tuesday (I wish I had seen the vet list before booking because a recommended one wasn’t that far away😅) but at least I feel like some of my worry has gone away,
Thank you so much JBun!
He looks relaxed so I’m hoping he’ll be good for the next couple days. (sorry he’s messy 🥴)View attachment 54199
Sorry I can't help you on any of this but he's so cute 😍

Latest posts

Back