Weird looking skin on rabbits ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
So I let Iris out today and I saw this weird skin on her ears, it's a white and it just runs off when I touch it and it doesn't hurt her and she doesn't seem at all bothered by it and it's nowhere else on her body I checked her over, any help would be much appreciated.

Is the fur falling out, or is it easily pulled out? if so, it sounds like ringworm. One of my bunnies had similar symptoms. I sent a skin/fur sample through the mail to my vet and she was able make a diagnosis. I just used a very dilute apple cider vinegar solution to get rid of it - swabbed her ears 3x per day with a cotton ball and her fur was growing back within a week.

It could also be just dry skin she didn't clean off if it's dry where you are right now. My rabbits get a bit of dry skin in the winter (it's QUITE dry here).

The fur isn't falling out or easily pulled out and it's only on her ears and in one spot.

Is the fur falling out, or is it easily pulled out? if so, it sounds like ringworm. One of my bunnies had similar symptoms. I sent a skin/fur sample through the mail to my vet and she was able make a diagnosis. I just used a very dilute apple cider vinegar solution to get rid of it - swabbed her ears 3x per day with a cotton ball and her fur was growing back within a week.

Hey do you remember what the dilute apple cider vinegar solution was called??

Hey do you remember what the dilute apple cider vinegar solution was called??

I just diluted it myself, about a 1:4 ratio so it wasn't so sting-y. Ringworm is persistent, but for some reason the over the counter cream that my vet recommended didn't work for her, so I resorted to home remedies. I've also heard good things about aloe vera, turmeric juice, tea tree oil as well. I make my own ACV, so I had it handy, and sure enough it cleared it right up.

If your bunny's fur isn't falling out, it's probably not ringworm. But maybe a gentle topical treatment would be helpful if it just a dry patch or small fungal infection, like aloe or ACV.

Okey I'll try some aloe and see if it clears up, I was pretty sure it wasn't ringworm.

So I used some aloe this morning but now it looks more shiny and white, could it of gotten worse? Or is that the aloe working?

I'm not sure, it could be the dried aloe itself. If you feel it's getting worse, I'd see the vet!

Latest posts

Back