Weird head motions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaziesMom

Reaction score
I have a six week old mini lop bunny that I had just weaned from her mother. She was the smallest of her litter (but not really a runt because there are no defects, just her size), and she is perfectly normal and most active from the litter. However, I have noticed that when she is standing still it looks like her head is moving with her when she is looking around. It will move around from side to side. Hence why I named her (Daz)ie. Is this normal? I love her just the same but I noticed the rest of my bunnies do not do this.

Is she a red eyed white? They often "scan" to help see things by moving their heads back and forth. My New Zealand white does this a lot.

No she is just a broken. My first thought was scanning too but she does it constantly.

What color broken is she? (shaded varieties often scan). Does she have a ruby glow to her eye?

However, it sounds like she may have a neurological issue. Does she also havenystagmus? (Rapid eye movement)

There could be any number of causes for her condition including a congenital neurological disease, injury, parasites, ear infection, bacterial or viral infection.

The fact that she is the smallest in the litter may indictate a systemic congenital condition.

It's difficult to say what might be going on. I would advise consulting a vet to examine the rabbit and perhaps give more insight into a diagnosis.

Pam

Does sound a like it could be nystagmus. If you look closely do her eyes move in a rhythmical motion with the head following the direction of the eye? But as Pam said its definitely worth getting it checked out to be sure as it could be a number of things.

When she moves her head, does it sort of float off to one side, and then she snaps it back up into place?

It does sound neurological, and I agree. I would get her checked out as soon as you can.

I have a Holland Lop who I thought was a scanner. His head would move side-to-side...but it was the faintest little movement. You really had to concentrate to see it. He's got a clean bill of health from the vet and has no other obvious neurological issues. He's almost a year now and the "scanning" seems to have dissipated. At this point I merely keep an eye on him for any increases in the "tic" or other noticible changes.

You would be best to have Dazie checked by a vet. But I just wanted you to know that it might not be any major issue... I'll be keeping your little sweetie in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep us posted!

-Mary Ellen
catwoman.gif

Her eyes do have a red tint, I noticed. She just seems to move her head around like she is using her whole head to look. It isn't a sudden movement or anything, I will get her checked out but I am thinking she is just scanning? Or atleast I hope. She is perfectly normal other than that.

Thanks for your input.

If she has a ruby glow to her eye, it's possible that there is less pigment than the normal eye would have (a form of ocular albinism). This can let too much light into the eye, making it difficult to focus - hence the scanning.

Obviously I can't say for certain, however, it is a possibility to consider.

Pam

Latest posts

Back