Weird habit...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
Harley is around a year and a half and lately has started dumping his water out of his bowl - sometimes seconds after getting it or through the night.
I don't know why he has started doing this because he never bothered with it before.

Nothing changed and I have tried giving him toys to play with but he just ignores them and plays with his bowl.
I've also tried different bowls (he doesn't play with the glass one AS MUCH).

I'm worried he might get dehydrated when he does it while I am sleeping - since it doesn't get refilled till morning.
Is a bottle my only solution, or better yet anyone know why he might have this new obsession?

Bunnies get obsessed with some things out of the blue. I don't understand their obsessions myself but it does happen. I would be concerned too with dehydration plus bunnies need water to help them eat. Especially their hay.

My Better Half just chimed in and said maybe it's the water and not the bowl. It could be he doesn't like the taste or maybe an odor humans can't smell? Try a little bottled water in the bowl. Or maybe adding something sweet to tempt your bunny to drink. Just a suggestion.

Something had to change for this issue or obsession to come up.

K:)

I actually did try bottled water last week for a few days, same thing happened. I havnen't been using any new/different for cleaning in his bowl. He's been getting the same food/hay.

I'm just very confused on why all of a sudden this is happening. It's annoying and worriesome. I think I am going to have to get him a water bottle since I have no idea how to stop the behaviour, water bottles just worry me since what if they stop working and for some odd reason I don't notice, or he might not know how to use it either - he's always had bowls.

Have you tried putting his water bowl in different places? Some rabbit do this. Luna moves everything. It took us a good two weeks to figure out what she was doing and why. Then another two weeks figuring out where she want her stuff. What a mess. So different than the guys.

K:)

Have you tried a bowl that hooks on the cage? These are much harder for them to get at the bowl. The ones that hook on do need to be zip tied as they can still be thrown around, there are ones that bolt on the cage though (there is a ring that bolts on and the bowl sits in the ring.

Not sure what type of bowl you are using. I use a crock bowl made for dogs which is to heavy to turn over. She has never been able to dump it but she can play in it and put things in it for her own amusement. She goes through playing spells too which can be a little weird. Luckily she is too big to sit in like she did when it use to be the dog's bowl.

Latest posts

Back