weird coincidence fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
So as most of you know, I have had Shiny Things and Beauty rebonded for about 1 week. I am at my parents for the weekend with the rabbits. I had them caged together while here. The first night (Thursday night) they got along well I think. Friday night they woke my up at 5:40am fighting. I seporated them and built a new cage out of an x-pen, a tarp and a piece of fleece. I put Shiny Things in there with food, water, hay a litter box and lots of toys. When I let them out of their seporate cages that night (Saturday) (I had been gone all day apartment shoping) they got along great, were cuddling, grooming etc... everything that you would expect a bonded pair to do. So I put them in the x-pen together for the night with 2 of each of these, food, water, hay, litter boxes. They also had lots of toys including a new toy that I made right before bed. They woke me up at 5:40 am Sunday morning because they were fighting. They have been happily bonded in Brenham for over a week. I will admit that Thursday I did not let them out to run, time slipped away. Does anybody have any clue as to what is going on? It seems to be to weird of a coincidence for it to be happening at the exact same time each night. I need HELP. Both are spayed and have been for months.

One week isn't a solid bond. Moving them to a new location also changes territory -- especially with newly bonded buns.

The Cotton Tails Rescue recommended to me to be sure my Sapphire was bonded strong with her new boy for a full month in neutral territory before ever thinking about moving her (& him) back into her old territory. That full month meant being together 24/7 -- not just for bonding sessions.

I have been working on bonding them for months now. I had to bring them to my parents because I was going to be gone for more than 4 days. They come to my parents with me every weekend.

I have been working on bonding them for months now. I had to bring them to my parents because I was going to be gone for more than 4 days. They come to my parents with me every weekend.

Yes, I know it's been a long road for you. I was saying that the changing of territory every weekend could be causing added difficulties.

Also, according to that Rescue that was giving me advice, she likes to see bunnies together for 24 hours per day for a full month before changing their space. In other words, until they can stay together round the clock, nonstop, for a full month without any fights, she wouldn't consider it a solid bond. So with that line of thinking, the fighting is a result of them not being bonded.

I should also add that she was adamant with me that I NOT lock them in a cage together until they've shown at least a full month of togetherness without tussles. Yours were ok in the x-pen while you were out, but the fights are in the closed cage.

The morning fighting isnt necessarily a coincidence. IF bunnies are going to fight, they most commonly do it in the early morning or dusk.

I know this has been an up and down roller coaster for you Lauren and I'm so sorry for that :( But from the beginning my theory has been the change of locations...and I think it still is. I know you always take them to your parents house and it seems "normal" to you but I think with them, for some reason, they are not doing well with the inconsistency. Maybe the f/f bond adds to it too.....but it sounds as though with every change they struggle with dominance again. It may not happen EVERY time, but it happens enough for me to guess that is what is going on.
This sucks for you! I really want them to stay bonded. This is just my theory, though. I'm not for sure but it's what I'm leaning towards. I sure hope things work out!

Do yoyu have any thoughts on how I could remidy the moving. I will be leaving for my parents every Thursday and coming back every Sunday. I go stir crazy if I do not see my parents each week + there is NOTHING to do in Brenham. I could maybe leave for my parents on Friday afternoon if that would help. Would it be okay to leave the rabbits alone for that long each weekend? I MIGHT be able to bribe a neighbor to come over 1x most Saturdays to top off the food, water and hay. Also if I go that rought should I leave them in the big cage together or put the cage devidor back in? I NEED help!!! The girls get along great while in Brenham.

Hmmm... so you're thinking that if you leave Friday afternoon, have someone swing by Saturday and then you come home Sunday afternoon, that the bunnies will be alright in Brenham?

Given your circumstances, this might be the better option. Then in a couple months (maybe) you will be able to try bringing them to your parents again. Though if it were me, I'd still be afraid of causing problems again. But at least if you do this for a couple months, it may give your girls a chance to establish that bond.

I would try to leave them in as large an area as possible so that there's hopefully less chance of fighting. You'd also have to let your sitter know to look for fur tufts as a sign of fighting.

Just wanted to chime in and say i agree I would keep them in Brenham for a while so as to re-establish a bond before moving them back and forth again. I would be careful, though, before leaving them caged unattended. That would be horrible if they would get in a fight when no was there. So yes, keep a close eye on them for a few days beforehand.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back