Weird bonding behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bababbit

Reaction score
I'm trying to bond a neutered male and unspayed female. (I know that's not ideal, she's not quite old enough yet). So the female keeps putting her head under the male's butt or middle, sometimes putting her whole head under him and even out the other side! What does it mean?

It could be she is putting her head down to ask for grooming. It could be she is acting sexually, checking him out and trying to initiate him doing his job(which he obviously won't being neutered). If she's still pretty young, it could be a comfort thing wanting him to provide comfort and a feeling of security from him. It could be hierarchy, his body being on her head/shoulders is the act of a dominant rabbit, so she could be initiating this to show him he's the boss and she is happy to be his subordinate. If there is aggression at all when she is doing this, she could be trying to attack him going at his belly. What exactly it is will depend on all of the other body language she is exhibiting.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Understanding_your_rabbit

Thank you for your response. There is absolutely no aggression on her part. He has displayed some minor aggression especially being bigger and the first rabbit. At first I assumed it was a grooming request (he's groomed her twice, she has never) but I have read that is a dominant behaviour. Thanks again I'll check out the links

Are you planning on getting her spayed when she's old enough? If so, there is no benefit in trying to bond them now. It would only be temporary until her hormones kick in. When hormones happen, it can change her behavior (and his). That is when fights can break out. Such a fight could sabotage their future chances of bonding once she's spayed and healed.

My emmi and emit are bonded and emmi is not spayed but emit is neutered. Feel free to message me about any questions you have.

Latest posts

Back