Weight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_bunnies

BRC show breeder + hopping rabbitry
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have 11 bunnies and I have one of my friends bunnies here - so that makes 12.

I went away for 2 weeks about 4mths ago and the people who cared for my bunnies ran out of the food I left and didn't use the money I left to buy more. My bunnies didn't get hay or pellets! They only got Lucerne chaff.

They lost ALOT of weight! Once I returned I fed them a bit more pellets and lots of hay and fresh veggies.

They have gained a lot more weight although they are sorta flat and not in good condition.

I'm buying some rolled oats as I have heard they help put weight on, and I know not to give too much!

Does anyone else have any suggestions of how to get them in good condition and get them to have a nice shiny coat? Thanks in advance.

give them multi-vitamin drops in their water to get their immune system back to normal

You can add some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), but not too much...maybe alternate between the rolled oats and BOSS. I wouldn't do this every day because it might be too much. Also, not sure this is available to you but rabbits love Calf Manna (made by Manna Pro), and it's high in protein, but again I would use just a little and not all the time. Some rabbits will eat only the calf manna and leave the pellets though.

if you keep their immune system up even if it already is they are more likely to put on more weight

Wow, that's horrible, I'm sorry they didn't take better care of your bunnies :(

All good advice given, oaten hay can be useful to help increase weight, mainly because the bunnies love the oat seed heads that are still often in there (though they can get stuck places and cause issues). If you are feeding a teaspoon or so of rolled oats daily though it's probably unnecessary to switch hay for that reason.

Latest posts

Back