Weight on young bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
Cordie is feelinga bit thin to me, but I am wondering if it's normal. I canfeel her bones on her back (not her ribs) andwhile she has meat it's just a little odd to me. Maybe it'sbecause I am not used to normal sized bunnies since Miffy is a chunker(she's truly overweight and we have her on a diet but it takes time tolose it) but I wanted to ask since I really don't have the $ for a vetvisit unless it absolutley needs to happen.

Cordie would be about 3 months or veryclose to it. She eats plenty and gets about 2 1/2 cups of food a day (I think), it's a little dish bowl and we fill it uptwice.

It's important to know your individual rabbitand whether it's normal for them to be a little rougher over thespine. So, it's really not easy to venture a guess over theinternet as to whether your rabbit is at a healthy weight withoutactually being able to examine her.

If she's eating 2 1/2 cups of food per day -- she is being WAY overfedand it could be the cause of a rough spine (poor condition from excessprotein).

Weight loss with normal appetite is also cause for concern and can indicate a health problem.

Parasites can also cause rough condition.

If you believe that she is not in the condition she should be, I'd get her in for an exam and fecal check for parasites.

Pam

Two and a half cups? May I ask what type of rabbit she is? I'm just curious....not to be mean or anything.

My lionheads are about 3 pounds - maybe a tad bit more and they getanywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food per day (I breed). Some might get abit more - some might get less - and when its hot out they get closerto 1/3 cup and seem quite happy with that.

I didn't know that too much protein could make their condition like that - Pam - if you see this can you share more about that?

Peg

I was just wondering about this, funny is should come up now...

I thought it was important for young bunnies to get unlimitedpellets? I'm sure I saw an article (probably by Dana Kempelsor Susan Brown) stressing the importance of not restricting protein orcalcium when feeding bunnies under six months old or so (depending onthe breed).

sas (who's not really here).

TinysMom wrote:
I didn't know that too much protein could make their condition like that - Pam - if you see this can you share more about that?

Peg

Too much or too little of any nutrient can beharmful. Too much protein can cause very serioushealth problems, but even moderately high amounts can cause poorcondition.

Pam

Pipp wrote:
I was just wondering about this, funny is should come up now...

I thought it was important for young bunnies to get unlimitedpellets? I'm sure I saw an article (probably by Dana Kempelsor Susan Brown) stressing the importance of not restricting protein orcalcium when feeding bunnies under six months old or so (depending onthe breed).

sas (who's not really here).

It depends on the individual. Some bunnies that are over eating need to be on restricted feed.

Pam

What would be the appropriate amount of pelletsthen? And I'm guessing she should be feeding timothy hay withthat? It would help Cordie feel more full without the excessprotein.

As a rule of thumb, small breeds get approx. 1oz. per pound of body weight. This can vary by individual, soamount may need to be adjusted.

For our growing babies: Does and litters are "free fed". Growing weaned babies are given the adult ration.

Our larger rabbits receive an average of 6 oz. of pelleted feed. (Largerabbits have a slower metabolism than small rabbits, so require lessfeed per pound).

Pam

2 1/2 cups?!:faint:My 7.5 lb rabbits only gets1/4 cup of pellets! But they also get veggies. I can't get them to eatany more than that. That really doesn't sound right, a rabbit gettingthat much feed should NOT be skinny. There would have to be a medicalreason for it.

But I know my doe was very slim until recently. I thought shewas under weight but the vet assured me that it was more likely thefact that she was so hyper that she was burning as many calories as shewas eating so she was not gaining weight. And she has since put onweight.

Still, I say that if you are feeding 2 1/2 cups a day and she is thin,therehas to bea medical reason for it.

She might have worms. You should beable to call a vet for advice and then bring in a fecal sample fortesting. This is very inexpensive. My vet onlycharges $15 for the test plus the price of any needed meds.

I was feeding her as much as she wanted becausei thought to that it was unlimited feeding on young bunnies.LOL. I guess she was being over fed. I will call the vet andsee about the cost of a fecal. I have to wonder though if sheis dumping out some of her food. She is very rowdy during the day andmy daughter and husband get her out to play so I wonder if the foodbowl is getting knocked over?? Hmmm.

I'll call the vet and talk to her about it and see what she suggests.

Thanks everyone!!

I'll keep you updated.

It is unlimited feed for a rabbit under 6 monthsbut 2 1/2 cups is a bit much! I had a hard time getting my doe to eatthe recommended adult amount when she was younger!

Latest posts

Back