Weight loss after stasis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownieDaisyandJasmine<3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So my 2 year old boy (neutered) just went through a stasis episode last Thursday and after 3 days, he went back to normal. ( We did simethicone, belly massages, syringe feeding critical care and water, etc). He was eating a little bit on his own and passing hard, tiny poos during the episode, and by Monday, everything was completely back to normal.

He lost about 50 grams of weight during this time (He's a small guy, only weighs 1.3kg normally) but on Monday, he was back up to normal.

But since yesterday, he has lost it again. Normally the scales show 1350 grams + or - a few grams, but today, he's around 1310 grams.

He is eating the way he usually does, is full of energy and is behaving normally. The only thing that has changed is I have stopped giving him his daily piece of fruit treats and pellets as he went all weird last Thursday a few hours after eating them.

I've also stopped giving the treats and pellets to his mate, but she hasnt lost any weight.

Is this too concerning? Is it just because of the reduced calories from pellets? If so, how can I get him back up?

Also, I have noticed that his pee has changed. It is completely transparent like water sometimes and stays that way even after drying up when usually its yellow and has some traces of calcium deposits.

Is this concerning?

That small of a fluctuation can be the difference of a full stomach and bladder or an empty one, at the time you're taking the weight. When you're looking at a hundred grams lost and consistent undesired weight loss over several days, then it becomes concerning. I would continue to keep an eye on the weight to make sure it isn't consistently dropping.

With the elimination of pellets from the diet, there may be some minor loss at first, but it should level out while still at a healthy weight and body condition. It may be your one rabbit is losing a little because of a different metabolism. But if it continues to drop, you may need to make some diet alterations. I've had rabbits that had to be on no pellet diets for the health reason that they caused digestive upset, just as it seems for your bun. With the right cut of hay(not too coarse, good quality)and supplemental veg and forage, mine were able to maintain a healthy weight. So you may need to make a few adjustments to the diet to find the right balance for your rabbit.

I would also suggest making sure to offer your rabbits a salt lick, since they'll no longer be getting their essential dietary sodium from their pellets.

The urine color may not be an issue unless your bun is also showing signs of excessive thirst and urination. Then that can be a likely indicator of a more serious health problem, especially if there is continued weight loss occurring as well.

Last edited:
That small of a fluctuation can be the difference of a full stomach and bladder or an empty one, at the time you're taking the weight. When you're looking at a hundred grams lost and consistent undesired weight loss over several days, then it becomes concerning. I would continue to keep an eye on the weight to make sure it isn't consistently dropping.

With the elimination of pellets from the diet, there may be some minor loss at first, but it should level out while still at a healthy weight and body condition. It may be your one rabbit is losing a little because of a different metabolism. But if it continues to drop, you may need to make some diet alterations. I've had rabbits that had to be on no pellet diets for the health reason that they caused digestive upset, just as it seems for your bun. With the right cut of hay(not too coarse, good quality)and supplemental veg and forage, mine were able to maintain a healthy weight. So you may need to make a few adjustments to the diet to find the right balance for your rabbit.

I would also suggest making sure to offer your rabbits a salt lick, since they'll no longer be getting their essential dietary sodium from their pellets.

The urine color may not be an issue unless your bun is also showing signs of excessive thirst and urination. Then that can be a likely indicator of a more serious health problem, especially if there is continued weight loss occurring as well.
Thank you for writing such a detailed and thorough reply. That weight loss truly had me worried especially in combination with the clear urine.

He is not drinking excessively, he has a 450ml bowl that he shares with his mate, and I change the water twice. Each time, only about half the bowl is empty, so around 1 bowl of water is consumed by both combined in 24 hrs. But I do feel that he is peeing more than usual. Between 10AM till now, (its 2:30 PM), he has peed almost 5 to 6 times when usually its around 2 to 3 times.

Latest posts

Back