Weight Gain

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

I’ve not weighed her yet (because I need to buy suitable scales), but one of my buns, Gigi, is looking and feeling noticeably fuller than she was a few months ago. I have not changed her diet at all and if anything she is eating less pellets than before. My other bun does not appear to have changed.

Are there any potential underlying health conditions that weight gain is a symptom of?

Both buns share all food and are completely sugar-free, their diet is quite dull really! They get less than 1/4 cup of pellets each in the morning (Timothy hay based), they share a bowl of herbs / veggies in the evening, a slice of hay cube as a treat and sometimes I’ll hide a few pellets in a snuffle mat or stacking cups so they can have fun trying to find them. They have unlimited Timothy hay, with a little oat hay mixed in when it is available.

The Kaytee hay cubes have a little alfalfa in them (less than 10% from my research).

They are free-roam, so get as much exercise as they like. She is not quite as active as my other bun though and spends a lot of time chilling.

As they are rescues, I’m not totally sure how old she is. We think 3-4, but she could possibly be older.

3B93A57B-6215-4245-BB60-81976E8D7BF1.jpegED5B2787-A937-455B-9ADA-810BC499C240.jpeg75632E5F-F426-42E8-9686-1CEB0E28B670.jpeg
Pics for cuteness factor 🥰

Health condition... laziness? 🤣

No, but seriously, some rabbits just have a slower metabolism and put on weight more easily. I had a bun that was on barely any pellets and mostly grass hay, and she was still a chunky thing. Not obese, but definitely a little overweight. Little bit baggy around the rump and legs.

If your bun isn't overweight, I would keep her diet at the same amounts. If she's getting a bit chubby, maybe try reducing to 1/8 cup pellets, if that will work with her bun companion being there. One way is to split the pellet feeding up into two feedings, then they finish up their pellets faster in one go, and you wouldn't have to sit around waiting for them to finish. Though you may need to separate her from her companion for pellet feedings, until they both finish.

I have to say, she has become a bit of a slob 😂. I get the occasional binky, but she doesn’t go off exploring with the same enthusiasm as she used to.

My chunky Nugget is around 3.5kg and has been as high as 3.9kg. Always looking a little full but feels firm to pick up. Any time i try to do anything with his food…… Gut Stasis. Its almost impossible to make him loose weight and he is as active as he wants to be. Still bouncy and full of mischief. The key thing is can they clean themself, as soon as reaching to clean looks to be difficult then action needs to be taken. Teeth are something to monitor with an over(ish) weight rabbit too. But happiness is key.

Try reducing pellets, just give a few as treats. It's hard keeping them slim!

Try reducing pellets, just give a few as treats. It's hard keeping them slim!
Have tried to reduce his Nuggets and he only has a tea spoon on Dual-Care coz his tummy but i have no idea how he holds his weight. Have caught him eating his litter so many times and nothing i can do to stop him. Dont want to put wire in there incase they hurt themself but he does sit and eat his paper ‘back-2-nature’ litter.

Have tried to reduce his Nuggets and he only has a tea spoon on Dual-Care coz his tummy but i have no idea how he holds his weight. Have caught him eating his litter so many times and nothing i can do to stop him. Dont want to put wire in there incase they hurt themself but he does sit and eat his paper ‘back-2-nature’ litter.
That would worry me. There are soft plastic sink mats or mesh you can get to put over the litter. Or try different litter? I use Fitch paper bedding, very soft.

That would worry me. There are soft plastic sink mats or mesh you can get to put over the litter. Or try different litter? I use Fitch paper bedding, very soft.
It did worry me but im not even sure he is swallowing it as none shows in his poop. It looks like he chews it to mush. Anything i put there he will destroy. I had spoken with the vet about this and they did say not to worry too much aslong as he isnt having any issues. I stopped giving him anything cardboard to chew or play with many years ago. I will look up that litter you suggested. Thank you

Latest posts

Back