Weepy Eye?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score
One of my female Hollands (about a year old) has been leaking some kind of liquid out of her right eye for a couple days now. It doesn't seem too serious, but the poor thing looks like she's crying out of one eye.

Should I wait to see if it worsens? What even causes this?

What is the colour of the discharge? is it all liquid like a tear or does it seem at all soild (like our morning eye "sleep")goopey? stickey? any photo?

Do you have Saline eye flush? Pure Sodium Chloride 0.9%
Just as a rule out I would give her eye a good flush or 2 to make sure theres nothing in there irritating the eye before we bounce to other issues.
Plush flushing the eye will feel amazing for her if its at all irritating.

The discharge seems clear. It's more liquid-y than goopey. By Saline flush, do you mean eye drops or contact solution? The kind that people use?

Sure those work just make sure their only sodium chloride 0.9% with nothing else in them, i dont know much about contact solutions, and I know some eye drops have other things added to them like visine has what 5+ different formulas now?

If you had first aid eye flush thats easier to use more of then expensive contact solutions and such and you can be much more generous with it, I usually just fill a 3ml syringe and give the eye a good flush from 1 corner to the other in a nice stream, faster then a single drop but still gentle, but then again I get the 1000ml IV bags to use for this. With the drops you only need about 2, just make sure it gets under the eyelids to get any bits of anything out, wait an hour or so, then do another 2 or so drops to make sure everythings all washed out, then repeat in the morning.

Are you able to get a picture of the eye? So we can see the colour of the weepys? What colour is her sclera? Is it bloodshot, solid red, at all irritated looking?
do you notice any abnormalities on the lense?
From certain angles you may be able to tell if there are any scratches on the surface of the eye.
is the eyeball itself leaking from anywhere?
Do you have a small flashlight (a dull one) that you can shine in her eye (from the side, please do not shine the light directly into her eye) just let us know as much as you can, the more we know the more we can help you rule out before we jump to infections, especially if its just some clear fluid. Hopefully its just an irritant and flushing it out will work, if not at least it will feel better.

YAY! Not about your bun with the eye issues but I was just coming to ask about this!
One of our babies has something going on with its eye. It is not weepy that I can see but the lids looks pink and irritated and it has clear dried stuff that makes the hair all stiff. Tonight I noticed the ear over the irritated eye was laid flat against its head but the other was perky (it was eating).

The eye itself appears clear. The pink part that frames the eye seems redder than usual, but the white part of the eye is not bloodshot or anything. I haven't been able to upload pictures. Thanks for the help so far.

Cheyrul wrote:
YAY! Not about your bun with the eye issues but I was just coming to ask about this!
One of our babies has something going on with its eye. It is not weepy that I can see but the lids looks pink and irritated and it has clear dried stuff that makes the hair all stiff. Tonight I noticed the ear over the irritated eye was laid flat against its head but the other was perky (it was eating).
If its causing the hair around the eye to do that, odds are youre looking more into an infection or something else causing the irritation.
Are you able to provide photos, good clear macro shots, and answer some of the questions I just asked Kirstin?
You can give the eye a flush with Normal Saline to give some relief.

Usually if all youre getting is clear "tears" with no... Goop, its typically something in the eye bothering it like a bit of dust, or problems with the tear duct. There are always exceptions but its nice to rule out the easy things to deal with like a bit of dust, before we jump your back just saying VET!

Sorry for the odd choppy, poorly spelt replies, Brain turned off at 5 lol.

kirstin-

Could be some sort of eye irritant, blocked tear duct, my bunny had an ear infection and it all conects. Like her eye ran because the sinuses are all connects.

I'd try the saline thing for a little while. That's what our vet gave us for our bunny with goop in her eye and it cleared it right up.

How weird, I was going to take Goop to the vet but they said to treat with Tobramycin drops, 3x day. I did take close up pics in, in the photos it does look like there is clear goop but the lids were normal pink, not red and irritated looking.

We are now on dose 2 of the drops, so I will wait and see. HOWEVER, when checking the eye tonight, I noticed its teeth are not straight, the upper teeth curl at the bottoms ...I took pics. Off to photobucket them.

August 15.
159-1.jpg

158-1.jpg

Aug. 16 eye and teeth.
168.jpg

165.jpg

164.jpg

Uh oh. Those teeth don't look so great. The front teeth should be in front, and it looks like both the top and bottom are longer than they should be. I had a bunny like that. You're gonna need to take that one to vet so they can grind them down a bit. :( Poor bun.

kirstin wrote:
One of my female Hollands (about a year old) has been leaking some kind of liquid out of her right eye for a couple days now. It doesn't seem too serious, but the poor thing looks like she's crying out of one eye.

Should I wait to see if it worsens? What even causes this?
tear ducts are internal on a rabbit/-one or both are plugged--this requires exotic dvm care asap--before infection starts---sorry to be short--sincerely james waller:biggrin:

Our bun's eye is clearing up with the help of the eye drops. I took it to the vet about its teeth, he said to lay off the veggies and give more hay and pellets and the teeth should resolve on their own. This is because the baby bun has a very round and full belly and is clearly eating and eating well. Lol.

Latest posts

Back