Weepy Eye - Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsyBunnies4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Holland Lop bunny Beatrix has a very weepy eye and a bit of a wet nose (I've heard her sneeze a couple of times). This has happened to her a couple of times before the most recent being about a month ago but it has happened yet again this weekend. I would love some advice! I took her to the vet for her annual appointment and asked them about it and they said it looked totally fine and she is healthy but this was when her eye was doing better.

But this time it seems worse, there is no goop it's just watery and it's only in one eye and then the nose is worrying me. She has blue eyes and I heard that they can be more sensitive maybe this is it? She is also a Holland lop so the shorter face may have something to do with it. I don't think she is sick as it is in one eye and I don't believe it's infected as her eye is not red or swollen and there is just clear fluid coming from it. I have been doing warm compresses with chamomile tea and she seems fine otherwise. There was a LOT of smoke last week due to surrounding fires so perhaps this is the cause or allergies? I'm not sure. Is this is something that is pretty serious? If so, how urgent is it? My parents don't want to take her to the vet but I could probaly convince them if thats what would be best for her. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi everyone. I'd also like to know how urgent/serious something like this is. My rabbit had weepy eyes a couple weeks ago, but they've cleared up; now I think she has a slightly wet nose, though. I'm planning on taking her to the vet for a checkup anyway sometime soon (next week or the week after). She seems fine otherwise, and doesn't seem bothered at all by it, so my hunch is it's fine to wait until then. But if it's urgent, I can take her sooner.

FlopsyBunnies, I'd think it could be smoke-related. I've read bunnies can have "allergies", like humans, so can respond to smoke, dust, et cetera with sneezing/weepy eyes. My girl sneezes sometimes when she digs in the hay too suddenly and gets alfalfa dust in her nose, ha. That is good news that her eye is not red or swollen, and that it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain.

On that note, I also wonder if it can be climate/season related? Or are seasonal allergies not really something bunnies can suffer from? 🤔

Not sure on advice about the urgency of taking her to the vet; I'm curious about that, as well.

It certainly could be the smoke irritating the eyes. Dusty hay or litter could also cause some clear nasal discharge and eye irritation. Chemical smells is something else some rabbits will be sensitive to. Rabbits can have allergies, but it's not very common. Usually temporary clear nasal/eye discharge will be more due to something dusty in their environment.

There are other causes for weepy eyes when it's happening on a consistent basis. Some rabbits will get an eyelid or eyelash growing in towards the eye and rubbing it. Then there can be clogged up tear ducts. And also overgrown tooth roots can press on the tear ducts blocking them, particularly in older rabbits.

If this is something that is consistently happening that it's a problem and keeping the fur around the eyes wet, causing eye problems, or you start to see white sticky discharge(infection), then you should have your rabbit checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/chronic-runny-eyes-in-rabbits/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you for all this help!! I really appreciate it :) Her eye has cleared up a ton and is pretty much back to normal! I think the chamomile compresses helped. Her nose seems fine too. It’s still a little wet but my guess it’s probably from the hay or heat or something in the air. I’m not too worried. I’ll keep a close eye on it and if it gets worse I’ll take her to the vet.

My other bun has allergies according to my vet as he often will get a bit of weepy eyes around spring and fall. So I was wondering if perhaps Beatrix did as well but sounds more likely something was irritating her.

Thanks again!

Hello. So her eye hasn't been weepy all summer but this past week it has been watery and is starting to look like it did in those previous pictures and I heard her sneeze today. She was spayed last week, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. When she was spayed they did bloodwork and although she has the right amount of white blood cells they aren't distributed normally. The vet said this is common in young and old rabbits but due to her age (2 yr) it is a little abnormal. Because these results were the same when she had her bloodwork done last year she said it is probably just her norm. I don't think this has anything to do with the watery eye either, but is it possible? Otherwise, she's been eating great and getting her normal self/energy back from her spay that was on the 6th.

Imho it could be related to the spay. Such a surgery and hormone change is a big strain on her resources, and could impact her ability to deal with whatever causes the sneezing. For now, I just would keep an eye on it.

It could be seasonal allergies, as long as it stays clear and runny, and not white and sticky, and also if there is no white clouding of the cornea(corneal ulcer). Or debris in the eye like dust. I'll usually try some sterile saline eye drops(eg. natural tears) if I think there might be debris in my rabbits eye that needs flushing out. If that doesn't clear it up, the problem continues, or gets worse, it's probably a good idea to have your rabbit vet check it out. Especially if it gets worse, get your bun to the vet.

Medirabbit: causes of runny eyes

Latest posts

Back