Weeping Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a 10 year old rabbit with one eye that started looking weepy almost 48 hours ago. The discharge has been clear and sticky. The eyelid seems swollen. The other eye is fine and he's eating really well. Our vet appointment is about 30 hours from now.

I very recently trimmed his nails. The only other history is we believe he had a clogged duct on the opposite eye four years ago and it cleared up without incident. Never an issue with teeth or tooth related concerns via x-rays we do each year.

Are there any home remedies I can try that would offer some relief to him? So far I have been wetting down a tissue with plain eye wash and gently cleaning the area.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, my rabbit Cosy had this a few years ago on multiple occasions. It seemed to be caused by either a change of bedding/hay or a change of location. If there's anything familiar around your rabbit it may help them. We used cotton wool and warm water (that had been boiled) to clean it and warm it slightly which can help clear the tear ducts. We ended up getting some eye drops in the end and then he was fine.

Hi, my rabbit Cosy had this a few years ago on multiple occasions. It seemed to be caused by either a change of bedding/hay or a change of location. If there's anything familiar around your rabbit it may help them. We used cotton wool and warm water (that had been boiled) to clean it and warm it slightly which can help clear the tear ducts. We ended up getting some eye drops in the end and then he was fine.

Thanks for the reply. I have been using clean cotton soft handkerchiefs with hot water but it's a great idea to boil it.

What kind of eye drops did you use?

Unfortunately this afternoon more discharge has been building up in his eye and it's white. He seems like he's a bit more uncomfortable but that's always so hard to figure out.

Hey there. One of my rabbits eyes was weeping and i was doing exactly the same thing with a damp cloth. It seemed to clear up and i blamed all the smoke in the air (Californian here) but i just took him to the vet yesterday (unrelated issue) and they said they noticed some eye discharge and he’s got what looks to be spurs on his teeth. I was PRAYING the eye weeping wasn’t a dental issue but it looks like it is. Might wanna get your little one checked out. They gave me some drops for the time being that he seems to enjoy getting out in. Not sure what they do but his eye looks less pink and no tearing.

The good news is it appears to be a scratch that should heal fairly quickly. They put a dye on his eye and checked with a UV light. We got an antibiotic eye drop to be safe and some metacam. I appreciate everyone's input. The warm compress was really a good idea and I was surprised he would let me use it on him without fighting. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back