Weeing on the couch, only when I am not home!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b.tate

Reaction score
Hi all, would really appreciate some help with this one. I have tried all the advice I have read about washing the area as soon as I see it, she has her own litter box which she does use. In general she is great with only using her litter box, that is until I leave my apartment. I get back and she has left her business all over the couch. Firstly I don't even know how she gets up there because I have never seen her, secondly why when I am not home and thirdly how do I fix this!!!

She is around the 3 month category so I know it is common for her to start marking her territory, I just find it strange that she only does it when I am not there?

Thank you for any advice anyone offers,
Appreciate it!

It is very natural, as you mentioned, for rabbits to mark their territory, especially those who are not fixed (i.e. spayed/neutered). At the same time, rabbits in general seem very tempted to pee on soft surfaces, like beds and couches! I think the only solution is really to block off the couch when you're not home. Since she's able to jump up there, she's going to pee, and each time she has done it with you not there, it is reinforcing her to keep doing it because she's not really getting signs it's not OK. Also you cannot really 'punish' rabbits out of doing something natural, so again, I would just block off the sofa when you're gone.

What about chewing on stuff
Chewing on stuff is a natural behavior as well. Rabbits need to chew, so you need to redirect their need to chew onto things that is OK and safe for them to chew (as opposed to toxic things or your possessions!). You cannot train a rabbit to not chew.

It is very natural, as you mentioned, for rabbits to mark their territory, especially those who are not fixed (i.e. spayed/neutered). At the same time, rabbits in general seem very tempted to pee on soft surfaces, like beds and couches! I think the only solution is really to block off the couch when you're not home. Since she's able to jump up there, she's going to pee, and each time she has done it with you not there, it is reinforcing her to keep doing it because she's not really getting signs it's not OK. Also you cannot really 'punish' rabbits out of doing something natural, so again, I would just block off the sofa when you're gone.

Thank you so much for the advice! Will do x

Getting him fixed worked he doesn't pee everywhere or poop he goes in the litter box now and calm down allot so happy I found a place in Alabama what did it for 85 and they clipped his nails also

Latest posts

Back