Weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kian Galgey

Reaction score
Hello I have two rex rabbits that are fullf vaccined. One is 5 months and the other is 4 and a half months. They have a decent size cage with a waterproof cover over it. I got them in May and since May they have been kept in my room, in my room the heating is never on and the both windows are always fully open so it’s just the temperature of the outside. I have put them outside everyday until about 10pm and then brought them back upstairs but tonight I am leaving them in their cage with extra straw, extra hay, extra newspaper, a fleece blanket and a hot water bottle that is safe to go in there, I am just wondering are they okay to stay outside with the weather conditions of Ireland. Since May up until the first week of August it has been very warm reaching up to almost 28 degrees at day and 19-24 degrees at night but now it’s september and the temperatures are going back down to 12-15 degrees Celsius at day and 9-11 degrees Celsius at night, I’ve no room for them in my bedroom anymore as I’m starting back college and my desk will be moving in, I really don’t wanna get rid of them and I won’t be, I don’t mind having to maybe bring them inside when temperatures get too low but I would like them to remain outside for a while. In winter it’s very cold here and they will be sheltered from the rain at all times. Also I got my rabbits teeth cut 3 weeks ago and her teeth are after growing out of her mouth again, I will be getting them cut again but should I get a teeth cutter of the dentist and maybe cut them myself or what should I do?? Can someone please help me the teeth aren’t a big issue cause I don’t mind spending money to get her teeth cut but can someone help me out with their cage and environment thanks very much

Why do their teeth grow out like that? If they eat hay and have some safe wood chew toys, their teeth shouldn't grow long. And I'm sorry but all I can say is that I vote against throwing them out, especially with how cold your weather is. I can only feel bad and sympathy with them as living outdoor seems really scary to me when it comes to rabbits. A few days ago I saw a video of a rabbit owner crying her eyes out because while she was at work, her mother let the bunny out in the garden for just a bit to play around and some owner with her unleashed dog walked by and the rest is history .. So watching that video made me even more scared for the poor bunnies living outside. That and, outside, you can't really monitor the bunnies if you're going back to college, when you get home you'll be tired and I don't think your family would either so if something was to go wrong it'd be so unfortunate.. But this is just my opinion, wish the best for you and for the little ones.

Just wanted to address the housing. You have to decide whether to keep them outside or inside. It isn't good to switch them back and forth. Either keep them outside 24/7 or keep them inside 24/7. They cannot easily regulate their body temperature so switching them back and forth is stressful on their bodies.

If you want to put them outside, then outside they should stay until Spring. Once the outside temperature matches the inside temp (in Spring) then it would be ok to bring them back in.

I’m just going to address the teeth, as I agree with blue eyes on the housing - if there is malocclusion and the teeth aren’t lining up properly then they will continue to grow like that, but usually providing lots of hay and objects to chew should wear them down naturally. Also make sure your vet burrs the teeth with a dental burr and does not clip them! And never clip their teeth yourself. Clipping teeth can cause fractures that extend all the way to the root.

Yes guys sorry, this post only posted last night but was supposed to post up 3 weeks ago and my rabbits love being outside and are living out there now, they’re perfectly fine out there and Alice I ask the same question to myself about her teeth , only one of the rabbits teeth grow out like that I get her teeth cut by my local vet every 3-4 weeks which I do not mind doing. The weather isn’t cold it’s a normal degrees and like I said I have a heater and they’re fully covered from rain and about a video you saw of a rabbit being eaten by a dog, They’re perfectly safe and kept well away from stray dogs, I have two dogs that get along perfectly with them and treat them like their own, no stray dogs can get over any of my back garden walls to rip them apart like you saw in a video. No cats or dogs are actually able to get at them except for my two dogs that get along perfectly fine with them. Also I go to college which is fifteen minutes away from my parents house where my bunnies live and I’m only there for 5 hours a days and as soon as I go home I attend to them. for the five hours of me being in college they’re is always someone at home in my parents house so the rabbits are always cared for and looked after, I can assure you they’re not cold as there is always an outside heater on them in the night Time and they are in the outside sitting room which is right beside the kitchen door and sitting room window and has a roof with sofas over it so they’re perfectly fine and very active, yours thankfully Kian

Yes guys sorry, this post only posted last night but was supposed to post up 3 weeks ago and my rabbits love being outside and are living out there now, they’re perfectly fine out there and Alice I ask the same question to myself about her teeth , only one of the rabbits teeth grow out like that I get her teeth cut by my local vet every 3-4 weeks which I do not mind doing. The weather isn’t cold it’s a normal degrees and like I said I have a heater and they’re fully covered from rain and about a video you saw of a rabbit being eaten by a dog, They’re perfectly safe and kept well away from stray dogs, I have two dogs that get along perfectly with them and treat them like their own, no stray dogs can get over any of my back garden walls to rip them apart like you saw in a video. No cats or dogs are actually able to get at them except for my two dogs that get along perfectly fine with them. Also I go to college which is fifteen minutes away from my parents house where my bunnies live and I’m only there for 5 hours a days and as soon as I go home I attend to them. for the five hours of me being in college they’re is always someone at home in my parents house so the rabbits are always cared for and looked after, I can assure you they’re not cold as there is always an outside heater on them in the night Time and they are in the outside sitting room which is right beside the kitchen door and sitting room window and has a roof with sofas over it so they’re perfectly fine and very active, yours thankfully Kian

Well, that's great news, since they've already adapted to their surroundings and are safe then there's nothing for me to worry about I guess. Sorry if I sounded nosy or anything, I just really love these little ones as I have one of my own and can't help but be overprotective when it comes to them. I hope they remain safe and happy in your care. Best of wishes!

Latest posts

Back