Weaning advice please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy.ears

Reaction score
This is my second and third litter and need some advice in how is the best way to wean babies. My first litter mom died at 26 days of babies being born, so they stayed on the cage. I read in a post here that the best way to avoid mastitis was to do it gradually, taking a way 2 Bunnies one day, 2 next day and so on. But now I just read some article that says that the best is to leave them on the cage and take away momma. I already took 2 rabbits from each litter yesterday and put them together in a cage with other 2 Bunnies from the previous litter (15 days older) the didn't look stressed (cuddle immediately) and the are eating fine. What do you think is the best way?

That's how I did it. Took a couple away at a time. But I did it with 2 or 3 days in between, to give more time for the milk flow to lessen. Yes, it can be less stressful for them to remove the mom to a new area instead of the babies being weaned. A way to do this would be to move the mom and babies remaining with her, into a different place, and leave the weaned babies in their usual old area, but with mom and the unweaned babies removed. But if you've already removed babies and they aren't showing any signs of stress and are eating and pooping normally, I would probably just continue doing it the way you are.

Latest posts

Back