Weakness in hind legs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine Sola

Reaction score
My 10 year old Dutch Dwarf, Vince, has congestion in his lungs and is on antibiotics. He's also experiencing weakness in his hind legs. He can still get around but doesn't run around like he used to. It seems like getting up from a laying position is most difficult but once he's up, he walks OK but doesn't stay on is feet for long. He still has a good appetite. He doesn't seem to be in pain.

Is anyone aware of a treatment to help with the weakness in the hind legs?

I know you said it doesn’t seem like pain, but it could be pain since it is hard for him to get up, and he is reluctant to stay up for long? Older bunnies can get arthritis quite commonly. They are also very good at hiding pain as they are prey animals. It might be worth speaking to your vet about trying some pain relief to see if that helps.

Last edited:
If it is weakness instead, you’d need to find out the reason for the weakness - could be a spinal issue, or muscle wastage... it’s difficult to know what medication would help if we don’t know the root cause. I would speak to your vet, but possibly start with pain relief and go from there before doing more drastic diagnostics.

Thanks for the response. He saw the vet a few days ago, she saw nothing wrong with his legs, at least no obvious explanation for the weakness.

She did an x-ray, checked his hind legs for any masses and compared both legs were the same length. The x-ray revealed the enlarged heart and lung congestion. She is the only vet in the area that treats rabbits. I'm debating whether to make an appt at the University of Pennsylvania Vet hospital but it's a few hours away and quite expensive. Wanted to post in this forum to see if anyone's rabbit had a similar condition and did the rabbit recover.

My 10 yr. old rabbit lost use of her hind legs from having spondylosis. She didn't regain function, but daily meloxicam did help keep her comfortable until her passing from old age.

Severe spondylosis would be diagnosed through x-ray. At this point it’s worth asking yourself - would you put this 10 year old rabbit through drastic surgery? If the answer is no, then is there really any benefit to doing lots of diagnostics to come to an answer, or is it worth trying some painkillers to see if you can at least make him more comfortable? That’s what I would do, personally, at least in the meantime. It might rule some things out, too.

Severe spondylosis would be diagnosed through x-ray. At this point it’s worth asking yourself - would you put this 10 year old rabbit through drastic surgery? If the answer is no, then is there really any benefit to doing lots of diagnostics to come to an answer, or is it worth trying some painkillers to see if you can at least make him more comfortable? That’s what I would do, personally, at least in the meantime. It might rule some things out, too.

I agree with popsicles. At 10 some bunnies get weaker from age in the hind legs. Painkillers and Glucosamine could help.
Some vets do laser treatments but I would chalk this up to getting on in years. Make him comfortable and he has years left so no worry.

Thanks for the feedback. With the lung congestion and enlarged heart, I fear he has less time but want him to be comfortable. Does the vet prescribe Glucosamine or can I get it over the counter?

I got it from the vet. You can get it over the counter but check with the vet. I do not remember the dosage.
My Bam Bam lived 5 years with the congestion and had the weakness in his legs for 1 year until he passed.
With Metacam for the pain and the glucosamine you will make him v wry comfortable.
The antibiotics for the congestion did not work but I will keep good thoughts for it to work for Vince

Latest posts

Back