We just hit a deer... :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
We where driving along 0 ave in Surrey, right near the border and we hit a deer. She was in the other lane and another car was coming so she dodge that car right into ours. Ryan slowed down as he saw her, but couldn't come to a full stop as it was raining pretty hard.

Poor thing, she did a full flip over the car, hit the ground and stayed down for a few minutes. She got up, but I'm pretty sure she's broken her back leg, she wasn't using it at all.

I called a friend from SARS who found me some numbers to phone, and their answering machine message gave me a number to call for injured dear. They said they don't come out if the dear is mobile, which is a shame because this poor girl is probably going to suffer horribly now.

We talked to the people in the house we where in front of, and they said there is a family group of about 4 who live on their land. So this girl was probably one of that family.

I don't know if there is anything else we can do...

--Dawn

Oh Dawn Im so sorry. Its an awful feeling because you know she wont make it long with an injury like that. I doubt theres anything you can do though.

Are you guys ok? Is Ryans car ok?

Awww :(That sucks. I am really relieved that you guys are okay though. Those things (situations) freak me out:?I wish I knew what to say about the deer but I have no idea what can be done. Sorry, I hope someone can help her. Is there a wildlife rehab centre that can help? Or is that what you called?

We're okay, the car is scratched and dented, but we got good insurance. And yes, it's a new (to us) car... We've had it since July after the Tiburon was totalled, a red 4 door golf TDI. We'll have to get the hood straightened as it's bent and dented, and we'll have to check for scratcheds once it's light out. Our deductable will be $300 and it should fix all the problems.

We called the police, they contacted the SPCA and then I called a wildlife rehab for deers. I did my best to try to get them to come out, but I don't know if they will or not.

I was so freaked out when it happened, but I'm feeling better now. I just feel so horrible for the poor deer...

--Dawn

How about Wildlife Rescue Association? I know they would rehabilitate the deer, but I don't think they'd pick it up because they depend on volunteers for transportation.

I'm a volunteer there, but I'm taking a break due to a full time job. I can call them and ask if it's possible?

:( Oh wow, I am so glad you and Ryan are ok - you guys just aren't allowed to drive anymore!! That must have been scary. I'm sorry about the deer as well, that is very sad. I wish the wildlife rehab people would go out knowing the deer is injured. :(

Nad

A friend who works with SARS and also works in Wildlife rehab told me that they don't rehab deers as they are so skitish and scared. Most deers upon waking in an enclosed space panic and will struggle to the point of injuring themselves (like breaking their back). The most a wildlife worker could do would be to put the animal down...

The SPCA is aware of the problem as we called the RCMP and they have to report it to them. I also called a number specifically for injured deer that I got from the answering machine of a wildlife rehab centre.

I don't know if there is anyone else who can do anything. I do have the street address of the house we where in front of when it happened. We also let the people in that house know to keep their eyes open for the injured deer.

Nadia: I'm still allowed to drive... I haven't hit anything, it's Ryan that keeps running into things!

Pixiestixxxx: If you do find someone willing to check on the poor deer, please let me know I can get them the address.

--Dawn

I agree with Nadia- no more driving for you! You are banned!

I've heard the same thing about deer. Their bones are pretty fragile and they seriously panic when they are in closed spaces and especially moving vehicles for transport. Wildlife people used to try relocating "problem" deer by tranquilizing and transporting them but the fatality rate was extremely high. And that was for healthy deer. Honestly the best thing would be to put the poor thing out of it's misery.:(

Although, from what I understand from my deer-hunting family, they can run for quite a way with a fatal injury before lying down to die. Adrenaline, you know? I hope she didn't suffer much.

Latest posts

Back