We have new Easter Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this photo their place looks very nice but actually because they are both intact you'd need to put solid wall between them, because they will be under stress all the time. Also he can manage to get to her over the top, rabbits are very smart especially when there's a nice nursing girl and he can see and smell her all the time. I know he is about 8 years or so but they will be both nervous you will see they will mark their territory with big smelly poos along the wall and maybe will spray each other through it with urine. Best to make it totally solid.

screenshot_20210330-145939-jpg.54278

If they will manage to meet again and she gets pregnant again it will be difficult for her since she is still nursing for the next two months and she will have babies in 30 days so you will have to separate her babes from her so she can only nurse new litter, it will be lots of stress, you don't want it and it is bad for her she will be exhausted no time to recover at all.

Here's another thread just a couple weeks ago we had that situation when girl got pregnant immediately after giving birth.

>> Brand New Kits

They manage because people are very nice and taking a very good care of the first litter, but normally you want kits to stay with mother until 8 weeks and they were weaned at 4 weeks.
I saw that thread and realized I needed to get back on here and get advice. I certainly don't want that happening. our youngest kid is 15 though and they have been lectured very sternly about letting the rabbits out. pretty much they can't be out unless either i or my husband says so. and since my husband is more attentive, i defer to him. I am taking online classes right now so my attention is very focused on that. Plus I am trying very hard to not get attached to the kits. I don't want to get overly emotional when time to re-home them. If I can't find any one to adopt them, what would you suggest I do? Is there a place I can take them that wont kill them or sell them as snake food. I can't imagine giving animals that trust humans to people who would betray them.

I saw that thread and realized I needed to get back on here and get advice. I certainly don't want that happening. our youngest kid is 15 though and they have been lectured very sternly about letting the rabbits out. pretty much they can't be out unless either i or my husband says so. and since my husband is more attentive, i defer to him. I am taking online classes right now so my attention is very focused on that. Plus I am trying very hard to not get attached to the kits. I don't want to get overly emotional when time to re-home them. If I can't find any one to adopt them, what would you suggest I do? Is there a place I can take them that wont kill them or sell them as snake food. I can't imagine giving animals that trust humans to people who would betray them.
There's a populous rabbit network in Austin TX they do events through Facebook every Saturday as far as I know I am not on FB myself but maybe you can search for them and contact them, there's lots of members a few hundreds maybe you can post an advert there and find homes through them, so you can be sure that they are not going to snake food or used for training dogs. Or try searching for rabbit lovers in your area, also through social media sites. You still have about two months, you can start advertising about two weeks in advance stating that babies will be ready to go in two weeks. Also you can set rehoming fee maybe 30 dollars to make sure people won't use for food, in reptile sections of pet shops rabbits cost about 25-30 dollars so make it a bit higher so not like free food here. Also there are always people who likes free stuff and when they get a rabbit they can get bored with them quickly and will pass to the next taker, that way your baby can have very bad life conditions.

Well good luck anyways please keep us updated and any question there's always somebody online and post some pics too ;)

Last edited:
We had 16 babies unexpectly arrive after hubby captured the two abandoned females. I quickly fashioned a towel surround for one momma's nest of 7. Towel surrounds worked really well for both families from the 2 unspayed females. Once the kits got more active my hubby made sure they would not crawl thru openings and injure themselves. Both are captured females nursed well in the towel surround. Both females were kept in d/k crates, and as the kits got mobile, Plan B was implemented. Yes, a high sided cardboard box with towels and hay to keep the babies together was perfect.

Attachments

• CuddlesKidsTowelSurround12noonDayTenRSt2.jpg
    CuddlesKidsTowelSurround12noonDayTenRSt2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 4
Like you, I signed up long time ago and many of my friends posting long ago started facebook pages. I have also learned things from RO, and do frequent FB for info on special needs, disabled buns, etc. Several FB friends have Rescue Pages. 24/7 there is always calls to Rescue Groups to take in abandoned females, males, and the females aren't spayed. They come in PREGNANT. People dump their unwanteds all the time. That said, Thank you for bringing in the unwanted gal to your home.

Friends in rescue networks and ourselves have learned to care for infants. Hope this picture helps as the babies become more mobile. Back in 2006 we had family buns, fosters, and then 19 came into our home. For this reason, the nursing mothers stayed in d/k crates until the babes could move to ex-pens with their moms. AND get separated before any puberty onset sibling could impregnate a sibling.

Attachments

• MariettasBabesInHaySurroundMar13_2006RST_ROphotoInfo.jpg
    MariettasBabesInHaySurroundMar13_2006RST_ROphotoInfo.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
Well-said, Zuppa, on how quickly humans get tired of a novelty pet and want to discard or rehome. Screening is critical for reasons you mentioned in your above post. We invested over $3500 to have all of Cuddles' and Mari's babies sp/eutered by our rabbit savvy DVM. The clinci allowed a discount at that time for more than one alteration surgery if I brought in 3 at a time. Boys got neutered first. With the females from each litter, girls were spayed at approx. 5 months.

By looking into low-cast sp/euter surgeries via contacing a reputable rabbit rescue in your area, as Zuppa mentioned, you can relax and know those innocent babies won't obviously go to a hoarder or be used for malicious intentions. Used as commodity objects like puppies or bitches in puppy mills.

In our situation, seagypsy, we kept several of the agoutis that people could easily get tired of, and dump again outdoors. People would mistake them for wild cottontails. All of the babes from the two abandoned females had a piece of my heart b/c of caring for them from day one.

-- Also, humane societies and rescues know that solid-colored buns don't adopt as easily as the fancier, hollywood-looking rabbits. Kudos to those who take in the less-fancier sentient beings.
Hence from our two gals' litters of 16, only 4 got adopted. Even then, I have regrets as to one of two places the sp/eutered youngsters went to. They didn't live to ages 13 1/2 or longer.

-- Get in contact with a rabbit rescue in your area now. I can look for suggestions. House Rabbit Society is an organization that cares for rabbits as members of our family, or emotional support companions. HRS won't view rabbis as commodity products, though every rescue can be overwhelmed. And wallets are dented thousands of dollars, as ours was. Still to this day, $14-20K per year.

Specific groups not affiliated with HRS officially do foster/rescue unexpected little heartbeats. Be sure to check credibility!! Right now I'm familiar with rescues on the east coast and in Florida. One east coast humane society just took in 118 rabbits from a hoarder individual. They aren't sp/eutered either.

Attachments

• MariettaWithKidsMar21_2006_RO info post seagypsy_RS.jpg
    MariettaWithKidsMar21_2006_RO info post seagypsy_RS.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3
It's been nearly a week now and the six new ones are doing great. They have already quadrupled in size. There are three solid black, 1 white with a blond stripe down its back, 1 white with black spots/checkers on hips, and one that is blonde and gray. The last one is my favorite. I think its coloring is still developing.
We made the wall between them solid as you advised and the buck has stopped peeing so much outside his litter box, so thank you for that advice. We were planning to get them both fixed but since the buck is nearly 9 years old, we are concerned he may be too old to handle a procedure like that. He has been showing signs of age for well over a year. He is less active, his fur isn't as soft as it used to be, and is starting to fall out in places. He has been more active personality-wise since the girl showed up last month than he has in the last 2 years. She certainly has his interest but he isn't anywhere near as aggressive in his pursuit of her as I have read about younger bucks in the presence of a female. If we cannot have him neutered, do you have any advice about keeping an intact male around a spayed female? Will they be able to bond once she is spayed?

I dont know if anyone is following this thread anymore but i have a question about my doe momma. I picked her up today and her butt was really wet. I didnt see any signs of diarrhea or anything and i didnt notice a smell. But i didnt get my face close to her back legs to sniff either. She has a ferocious kick. I dont know if it was urine or if she had sat in her water bowl. Shes clumbsy and when she is trying to get a drink and the new kits swarm her she sometimes reacts wildly.. she i bit of an idiot sometimes. So im thinking she may have done a 180 turn throwing her butt in the bowl by accident. Or maybe she had just nursed and had leaky milk and slobber all ever her. Any ideas? Or do i need to get her to a vet?

I might get in touch with my friend who has an elder intact male. Small size boy came into his home from a garage-housing owner. My friend was cautioned by his rabbit-savvy DVM wrt attempting a neuter at his senior age. Last time I did talk with him, his spayed elder FG female and small bun do okay but they are separated. They lounge on each side of the private bedroom space (i.e. fence) separating exercise areas.

Yup, we had two of our nursing females get chased after by youngens and both mothers wanted to get the heck away from milk-jug sucklers as babies grew larger. If I interpret bunny language properly, they said, enough, "give me some peace!"

Thanks, I checked her today and there was a few wet spots but not soggy like yesterday. She may still be drying out. The kits have a tendency to jump in her water bowl and spill her water if not just soak up all the water in the bowl. Surprisingly they tend to dry out pretty fast. but I wish i could find a way to prevent them from doing that without making it hard for her to drink. When will the kits start drinking water? I have seen them nibbling hay and trying to eat her cilantro and poops but I haven't seen them go for pellets or water yet. Though I do sprinkle some pellets in their play area for htem to explore. Not many just about a table spoon to see if i can catch them nibbling them.

Hi, so if your babies were born 4th April they are 3 weeks tomorrow, they should drink water now and should start eating pellets so actually mama and babies will need unlimited pellets now.

For water bowl, that's why like using bottles, water stays in and always clean. For 6 babies and mama I would suggest Giant bottle about 1 liter that should be enough for 24 hours that is when the babies will grow up a bit, but for the next couple weeks it can last 2-3 days. I change water once a day to keep it fresh and I use bottled water or boiled water, not necessary but I just like it better. I spray bottle inside with 5% vinegar at least once a week, shake it well and rinse with clean water so my bottles are always clean.

For her being nervous, this is hard time for her and if they are all together 24/7 she maybe doesn't have enough sleep. As we suggested previously, it would be nice if you could build a high shelf for her where she can hide from kits, because they are chasing her everywhere and she can't sleep.

Wet bum, I don't know it is hard to say without seeing, a pic would be nice here. As you said it could be water or urine, I don't think milk but can't guarantee.

Latest posts

Back