We cut Ivory's claw too much :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
My dad and I were cutting Ivory's claws, and for one of them he moved when we cut, so we ended up cutting too far into that red part (cant remember what it's called) and now its bleeding. I've been holding a cold paper towel on it to try to get the bleeding to stop, and its definitely calmed down, although not stopped completely. is there anything else I can do for him? He's over in the corner cleaning it himself now.

You can put a bit of flour or cornstarch on it to help the blood clot. It'll stop the bleeding pretty quickly.

Amazing how much a little nail bleeds, isn't it?

Hi Dreamgirl..What I did today was even worse. I have 6 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs and decided todaythat I would cut all their nails. The guinea pig nails were starting to curl under and the rabbits were long too (OMG how I hate to do this) I did fine with Rudy and Peewee and also Babette and Beau and the guineas Pee and Poo (although they were frightened out of their minds). When I cut Joey's I went too far on two nails..I was determined to finish once I had started...I had him on my lap and he kicked really hard and all this blood flew into my hair face and eyes.

I stoppedthe bleedingwith styptic powder but had to place him in my bathtub to go get it. My pajama bottoms were all covered with blood and when I took him out of the bathtub it looked as if a murder had occurred. I washed his back legs with warm water and they are all fine now but I had to wash my hair . Next time I'm taking Joey to the vet. :foreheadsmack:

Latest posts

Back