Ways to get involved with rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinitai

Reaction score
So, it’s been about half a year since I became a slave to had realized my newfound adoration for the rabbit species, during which time I’ve gotten to meet a very pretty Dwarf Hotot belonging to a close friend, watched plenty of adorable videos on YouTube, and taken the time to read as many articles and books that I can find so I’ll be as knowledgeable as possible when the time comes - the Rabbit Knowledge Library is very helpful, and I’m currently browsing through the very thorough and informative Rabbits for Dummies by Audrey Pavia and Connie Isbell.

In spite of all that, however, I do not own any rabbits for multiple reasons - mainly just because I don’t have the space in my home to house one, or a steady source of income to afford food, litter and other necessities - such is life as a college student. As much as I’d like to take in a cuddly bunny or two, it probably won’t happen for a while.

Even if I don’t have the resources to own a rabbit just yet, are there any ways I can get involved? There are no rabbit shelters around me, but are there any sort of groups (whether they be about ownership, fostering, conservation, etc.) that I could join, or any ways I could connect with fellow rabbit enthusiasts and/or owners?

I know that rabbits in particular are not the most common pets, but if there are any sort of organizations or ways to get involved with them despite not owning one myself, I would love to know about it!

Thank you!

You can check out the local rabbit breeders association near you. If you don't have rabbits yourself, it could be fun to visit a rabbit show and see all the different breeds - there's usually a couple hundred rabbits at each show and the owners are usually more than willing to talk to you about their breed.

You could also volunteer to socialize or help out at a rabbit rescue. Smaller groups often need help getting rabbits to veterinary appointments or even just having people to determine how socialized a rabbit is for potential adopters. I'm sure lots of folks would love to show a rabbit enthusiast the ropes and deeply appreciate the help. It would also be a great way to familiarize yourself with some of the less fun parts of the rabbit world to make sure you're ready for the commitment when the time comes. Additionally, you will learn what traits you really value in an individual rabbit and how to identify them, as well as likely gain first picks to rescues dropped off when you're ready.

When I was a kid, I got my first rabbit when I attended a 4H rabbit club meeting. They taught youth how to take care of bunnies, took rabbits to nursing homes for ‘bunny therapy,’ fairs, shows, etc. they also had volunteer leaders adults (some who aged out but wanted to continue) who helped establish meetings, took care of bunnies overnight (for fairs sometimes), etc. who were extremely involved and helped the club run smoothly.

I looked up 4H Rabbit club New York and there are quite a few branches of the club across the state. Try looking up a branch near you and contacting them. There may be many opportunities with 4H.

My girlfriend helps once a week at our local animal shelter and there is always at least 1 bun there. One day she brought home our little angel and we have been hooked since. Maybe just stop by your shelter and (if they have bunnies there) ask if you can let them out from time to time. They always want the help and the bunnies will love you for it.

So, it’s been about half a year since I became a slave to had realized my newfound adoration for the rabbit species, during which time I’ve gotten to meet a very pretty Dwarf Hotot belonging to a close friend, watched plenty of adorable videos on YouTube, and taken the time to read as many articles and books that I can find so I’ll be as knowledgeable as possible when the time comes - the Rabbit Knowledge Library is very helpful, and I’m currently browsing through the very thorough and informative Rabbits for Dummies by Audrey Pavia and Connie Isbell.

In spite of all that, however, I do not own any rabbits for multiple reasons - mainly just because I don’t have the space in my home to house one, or a steady source of income to afford food, litter and other necessities - such is life as a college student. As much as I’d like to take in a cuddly bunny or two, it probably won’t happen for a while.

Even if I don’t have the resources to own a rabbit just yet, are there any ways I can get involved? There are no rabbit shelters around me, but are there any sort of groups (whether they be about ownership, fostering, conservation, etc.) that I could join, or any ways I could connect with fellow rabbit enthusiasts and/or owners?

I know that rabbits in particular are not the most common pets, but if there are any sort of organizations or ways to get involved with them despite not owning one myself, I would love to know about it!

Thank you!
You can try feeding him and just staying by his side, letting him smell and know you more :)

Latest posts

Back