Watery Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieK

Reaction score
We noticed our rabbit had a watery left eye suddenly and tried to see if maybe he scratched himself, but now both are watering. We're trying to make an appointment with a vet that is knowledgeable about rabbits, but we're having a hard time due to a lot of places closing at the moment and one that is nearby is having a problem with new patients, so we're really stuck.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend anything that I could do to try and cure this while I try to get a vet appointment? I looked up old threads and someone recommended eye drops to someone's rabbit who had a similar issue. I tried to find the exact ones, but want to be sure. Would these work? https://www.amazon.com/Zoetis-Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Antibiotic-Infections/dp/B07GXX34Z2

I don't think there is an infection, but would rather treat this as if there was one unless that is harmful to do.

Just to be cautious.

I'm wondering if it's allergies and if so, what I can do for him? This little guy is 4 and we've had him his whole life, so I know it's not something he's had before. But I know in humans, allergies can start at any time and with Spring being right around the corner, I am wondering if rabbits can get seasonal allergies.

Anyway, any advice would be SO APPRECIATED. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
I wouldn’t use that link: I wouldn’t treat for an infection unless he actually has one, and many people said that their tube wasn’t full. My rabbit had conjunctivitis that kept on coming even after vet treatment. I’m using RenaSan eye drops. At first I used it three times a day, every day but as I saw an improvement I slowed it down to once a day for prevention. It’s worked well for me.

If it’s allergies, I’d try out a different hay. Many rabbits have problems with short stranded, dusty hay like the ones from pet shops.

Good luck. Hope he gets better

I found another link that might help too: https://rabbit.org/cheerful-tearful-eye-problems/. I think it is better than the first one.

Normally when reading these links I freak out about all the things it could be but don't worry. Once you get him to the vet everything will be under control. I just hope you can get him in soon so they can figure it out. If it is conjunctivitis it is super easy to heal. I had pink eye (conjunctivitis) on Thanksgiving and it was so painful and bothersome, so the sooner you can get him in the better.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
I wouldn’t use that link: I wouldn’t treat for an infection unless he actually has one, and many people said that their tube wasn’t full. My rabbit had conjunctivitis that kept on coming even after vet treatment. I’m using RenaSan eye drops. At first I used it three times a day, every day but as I saw an improvement I slowed it down to once a day for prevention. It’s worked well for me.

If it’s allergies, I’d try out a different hay. Many rabbits have problems with short stranded, dusty hay like the ones from pet shops.

Good luck. Hope he gets better

I looked up RenaSan on Amazon and a few other places and couldn't find any. Might be a UK only thing? I'm not sure. I'll try a different hay! I didn't think of that. Mainly because he's had this bag for a little while. We get a big bag that lasts quite a while for a bun.

Thank you!

Is the discharge clear or are you seeing any sticky white discharge?

It's completely clear! It's just like my own eyes watering. Which, actually, started around the same time as his which made me think it's seasonal. But I don't know if that's a thing that rabbits can have.

I found another link that might help too: https://rabbit.org/cheerful-tearful-eye-problems/. I think it is better than the first one.

Normally when reading these links I freak out about all the things it could be but don't worry. Once you get him to the vet everything will be under control. I just hope you can get him in soon so they can figure it out. If it is conjunctivitis it is super easy to heal. I had pink eye (conjunctivitis) on Thanksgiving and it was so painful and bothersome, so the sooner you can get him in the better.

Thank you! Yes, I worry so much. x.x He's such a good bun! Luckily outside of the wateriness, his eyes are very clear, no red or pink or any bad discharge. So hopefully it's something very easy to treat. I mean, even if it's not, it'll be treated! But I don't want him to have a hard time.

Seasonal allergies can happen in rabbits but it isn't very common. If you live by a field and it just got plowed or tilled, the dust could be it. We lived by a feild and every year one of my rabbits would get watery eyes for about a week. I hope you find out what it is soon though!

I looked up RenaSan on Amazon and a few other places and couldn't find any. Might be a UK only thing? I'm not sure. I'll try a different hay! I didn't think of that. Mainly because he's had this bag for a little while. We get a big bag that lasts quite a while for a bun.

Thank you!
After scouring through the US version of amazon, I found something similar. This is safe and should work. https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Pa...ZP4QNC9MR&psc=1&qid=1584343847&sprefix=conjun

I just wanted to thank everyone. While checking his eye, we could feel a lump in his dewlap. Because of that, I was able to get him an emergency vet visit. The vet was highly rated and fantastic, the whole place loved rabbits and most had their own even. She said his eye issue was an allergy most likely (and it's stopped watering, hooray!!) The lump, after feeling and finding one large-ish one and one smaller one, in the vet's opinion is just fatty tissue. She said to watch him, but since he's extremely healthy as far as eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, playing, flopping, purring, etc. goes she believes he's fine but if we need to, we can always bring him in again.

I just wanted to thank everyone. While checking his eye, we could feel a lump in his dewlap. Because of that, I was able to get him an emergency vet visit. The vet was highly rated and fantastic, the whole place loved rabbits and most had their own even. She said his eye issue was an allergy most likely (and it's stopped watering, hooray!!) The lump, after feeling and finding one large-ish one and one smaller one, in the vet's opinion is just fatty tissue. She said to watch him, but since he's extremely healthy as far as eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, playing, flopping, purring, etc. goes she believes he's fine but if we need to, we can always bring him in again.
I'm so glad he is better!

Latest posts

Back