Water water bun wont drink

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenmoore36

Reaction score
Has any bunny owner found that the individual in question doesnt drink enough! We live in s very hard water area. On our vets suggestion we tried putting juice in the water. We found that co-ops elder flower and apple juice concentrate works a treat. Has anyone else had this problem?

yes, my rabbits hardly drink any water, the bowl is always full (or they like to tip it over to spill it)
I tried to add juice but it didn't help. They are outside buns with free access to grass, I am guessing this is the reason for not consuming water.

Hopefully others can jump on here too, but I have always heard that it is not advised to put juice in water or bunny may refuse water from then on.

Does your bunny eat lots of hay? Bunnies that don't eat lots of hay usually drink less water. Also, if bunny gets lots of wet greens every day, they may be getting lots of moisture from that.

We have outrageously hard water but it hasn't been an issue for any of our rabbits. They eat their body size in hay every day so they drink plenty of water.

Are you offering the water in a bowl or a bottle? I've found that my rabbits typically drink more out of a bowl. I have a 1/2 gallon gravity waterer I use for my two and a bottle as a backup but they never drink from their bottle and obviously prefer the bowl. If you're adding anything to an animal's water other than a medication prescribed by your veterinarian I'd recommend offering a second source of plain water for them to drink as well.

I wouldn't recommend juice for the reason that your bun might become attached to the yummy juice and come away from the water. Could you perhaps provide a bowl and a bottle so they can see which they like better. Many buns prefer bowels but mine actually prefer bottles. Could you perhaps add a small piece of fruit (that won't change its form in the water) so it would be a bit like apple dunking but at the same time your bun might have a drink.

It was the vet who suggested adding juice to the water. They dont have it all the time, i try to use it to encourage them to drink more when its hot. But they do get plain water too most of the time. They have lots of hay and foods containing water. Sometimes they sniff the water and wont touch it. I dont do much food and diet wise without veterinary approval.

I would give them lots of leafy greens, wet, to eat (only if they are used to eat that kind of things, though - you don't want to upset their stomach) and it should be enough. If there is a problem with the tap water, you can give them water from a bottle. I do that when I am at my parent's house because the water there smells bad after a few hours even if I have no idea why. I noticed that my rabbits tend to drink more of it than of tap water.
If you have to ad something to the water, I would try a few drops of organic vegetable juice to avoid giving your rabbits too much sugar.

I have been using vitamin drop(s) for my kid(s) ( as in bun(s) ) .... and I haven't had any disagreement(s) either =0)

I would give them lots of leafy greens, wet, to eat (only if they are used to eat that kind of things, though
that's me. You forgot to mention - give them lots of wet leafy greens all the time, all year around, and every day (of course) .
This has lead to the fridge stuffed with green veggies, lots of money spent on greens (especially if you have several hungry for greens rabbits), and the necessity to run to the store very often (mostly at night time after all other chores are done). Just water (and hay) would be so much easier! :)
Also, my rabbits really prefer highly oxalic vegetables, and may ignore less oxalic, which is another health hazard.

Our guys are on what our vet coins a lush diet. They have meadow hay and lots of greenery, they also have some kibble not much but some. Apple or pear is a favourite treat too

Latest posts

Back