Water Bowl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltflower

Reaction score
I have adopted a boy who has deformed arms and at some point has had a bad infestation of ear mites and has a deformed ear. The vet says to watch him as he grows older for signs of arthritis. But that's not my question. My question is, why does the water in his bowl turn yellowish and greenish? Is he dropping food from his mouth into the clean water? The other rabbits don't do this. I'm so very happy to be able to rescue this wonderful boy!

I have had rabbits pee in their bowl. And dropping food is a possibility of green. He could have teeth issues if he is dropping food. Have your vet check his teeth. And make sure he has unlimited hay. I would love to see a picture of your bun!

He just had his adoption check up by our super rabbit savvy vet. He said that Saltweedie's teeth are slanted. I'm wondering if there's just greens stuck in the molars.

How do you upload pictures?
Edited to add: YES, tons of fresh orchard mix 'round the clock! All greens and occasional fruits are organic. Water is purified.

How often do you clean the bowl? Like actually wiping it out? Does he get any greens? My bun likes to make a mess with the juices so that may be the issue if he's given these.

My rabbits back wash in their water and it can make it a little dirty looking, though not really greenish. Algae can make water green, but not with you cleaning the bowl every day. If he gets veggies, juices from them on his chin or in his mouth might be doing it.

Yes, they get veggies. I'll bet you're right and it's just backwash! The water is more yellow than green, like it looks if a strand of hay stays in the water overnight. But there's no hay in it. Really good to hear about backwash, that never occurred to me. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back