Water Bottles - YAY! Non-Dripping bottles!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
FINALLY!!!

The water bottle issue has been solved! We found this bottle (I cannot remember who mentionned them but Thank you!) at the store and decided to test it out with the guinea pigs...

IT WORKS!

No leak!!! Woot woot! We will probably switch the bunnies' bottles as well. The only hesitation I have is that we have seen the 'insulation' for the round bottles but not for these so I am trying to figure out how to help prevent the water from freezing.

Anyway, I wanted to recommend them for anyone else who may be aggravated with their water bottles. It's always nice when it's proven to be effective :biggrin:

Nancy McClelland wrote:
you may have to go to a home hardware store and make you own insulation--we use pipe wrap and duct tape.
OK.... I'm a little lost here. I try to imagine how to do with those two equipments ( forgive me, I'm no good in construction:biggrin: ) Would you mind explain it please ? We're looking for new water bottle for Kimiko but I'm not sure if I can find the same one as Nela uses. :-/ We might have to come up with a home-made thing again. Thank you so much.

Wow... It never even crossed my mind to make my own insulation... Lol. Thanks for that!

Bunny Parents, do you think you could order them online? I think Amazon UK has them. Not sure how much it would come to with shipping though.

Dear Nela,
Thanks for your suggestion. I checked already and it seems to be very pricey to order it to Poland :faint: So we will check few more places here and also on Polish sites. Let's see if we can find something here. The other day we found a water bowl which can be locked with a cage, too bad that it was too big,it won't fit the water corner. For us, it always come to home- made style most of the time. We barely find something people on RO use. LOL.
Regards,
Vircia.

Hope it stays that way! I pet sit guinea pigs, their owner brought that bottle and I had to keep a bowl under it because it leaked so much. First time I experienced a leaky bottle, I use a brand called Classic and they never leak. Practically everyone in Ireland and Uk use them. Definately worth getting if you find them.

Actually, I've grown to hate bottles through the years. All my buns have lock-crocks. If a bottle works for you...go for it. They have just never worked for me.

i had one of those. it came with a bunny that was dropped off at my door (now happily homed with someone i know ^_^) and the bunny had trouble drinking from it. just keep an eye on it, don't want bunny getting dehydrated or anything

Just watch that it's not a ball system. Our bottle has no ball. It's a valve they have to push with their tongue though I guess the concept is the same :)Still going really well with the guinea pigs. No mess, and they are drinking plenty. Not sure if it's as good with bunnies though... I've had a rabbit that broke multiple bottles in the past :pNot always such gentle creatures. Lol

i would love too find something like that in canada, but so far no luck, maybe you have an idea Jessa? you live in ontario, is there a canadian site?

I haven't had much trouble with leaky bottles. Most of the time I use critter canteens. Lixits are the ones I see most frequently mentioned as good in the US and I do have one but it leaks horrible. I think it's missing an o-ring and not sealing properly. I keep meaning to see if I can order that part. I did have some guinea pigs who liked to shove the ball up with their tongue and just stand there letting the water run out the sides of their mouths. Getting a bottle with a spring loaded ball solved that problem cause their tongues would get tired.

A few key points for water bottles....

Always fill them completely full not half way. Some will leak until they create a small vacuum where water cannot go out without more air coming in. Bottles that aren't completely filled will take awhile to reach that state.

Do not use water that is too different in temp from the location of the cage. Filling a bottle with ice cold tap water and then taking it outside in the summer or even using it inside when you don't run much ac in your house will cause leaks. The reason is much the same as above. Think about what happens if you have a closed bottled water container you've drank some out of and put it in hotter or colder locations. Today the temp went from 84F to 60F during the time we were working outside and my half full container of water had crunched itself together from the temp difference.

Make sure bottles are sitting as upright as possible. Attaching a bottle so it leans at too wide of angle will not set the ball as tightly on the end. Shorten up the wire until the bottle sits upright.

Latest posts

Back