Water Bottle Drips

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily0862

Reaction score
Chambersburg and Berlin, Pennsylvania, USA
So as we all know, the water bottles drip. I even got a no drip one with a spring loaded ball and it still drips! Go figure. Well it makes the cage dirty on that side because it drips and she puts stuff in the water and such. I did read another post where someone uses a croc that attached to the cage which I might try because my bun drank from a bowl when I got her, but until I decide to do that......does anyone have any ideas for how to minimalize the water dripping/cage getting disgusting on that side issue?

Some times if you hold the water bottle upside down and squeeze it then tap the ball a couple of times, it will creat a suction and prevent the water from dripping.

This doesn't always work as all water bottles are different, but you can certainly try it and see if that works for ya :)

Some times if you hold the water bottle upside down and squeeze it then tap the ball a couple of times, it will creat a suction and prevent the water from dripping.

This doesn't always work as all water bottles are different, but you can certainly try it and see if that works for ya :)

Try putting a bowl under the bottle. It will at least stop the water from getting everywhere when it does leak.

One thing I do is turn the bottle upside down (like you would to attach it to the cage) and hold your finger to the ball and gently shake it to get all the air up. This does help, but they will still be a few drops.

usually mine only drips for a few minutes then it builds up enough pressure to hold the water in. I thought it was broken but turns out I was just impatient haha

i have every water bottle ever made for a small animal.....they all drip...theyll tease u at first and ull get all warm and toasty thinking uve finally found the perfect water dispenser.....then......drip....drip....next thing u know the bunnies are wearing freakin golashes...

i dispise water bottles....so i hafta use crocks...i dispise crocks too...i want a waterbottle that works cuz i know the water in it is clean..crocks and bowls get full of all kinds of crazy stuff so im constantly cleaning them...and i dont know how it happens but their pellets get in their water..ick.....it turns into a swamp.

ive been going rounds with watering divises for awhile now and nothing seems to work...an automatic watering system would be awesome...

DRIPPING WATER BOTTLES ARE THE BANE OF MY EXISTANCE.

i've noticed the first run through any bottle, 50% of the water will end up on the floor. after the first time it seems to get a bit better?

I have noticed the glass water bottles work much better. It seems to do with the side being able to hold a better vacuum, they are stiffer so they don't bow inward under negative pressure.

Tip: If you get the water bottle with screw on soda bottle top style, you can replace the plastic bottle with some types of glass alcohol bottles.
My bunnies liked their triple-sec bottle (just be sure to wash well before use)

Dulmit wrote:
My bunnies liked their triple-sec bottle (just be sure to wash well before use)
HAHAHAHA....**hic** ..pashh the Courvoisier
116788_8-1.jpg

so the nozzles can fit on other containers?..hm..i do have a couple glass water bottles that have worked wayy longer then the plastic ones...but i find that the o-ring washer gets caught in the threads when u screw it back on the bottle and then it shreds and leaks..ive gone to NUMEROUS places to buy replacement washers but NONE of them fit right ..the ones that fit the diameter end up being too thick to screw all the way back on the bottle...AND u gotta be careful what kind u replace them with cuz obviously some can be toxic .

check the rubber ring in the cap, it often pulls out of place and the bottle will not stop dripping unless is tightly fitted inside the cap..also sometimes the bottle is defective and there is no rubber ring...without that ring it will never work lol

I have loads of water bottles of all differnt kinds and very few of them drip, when they do drain its usually because the gerbils stuffed there bedding inside the tap lol my rabbits each have a bottle and neither bottle drips, both are different kinds and both are betwen 7-10 years old.

leaking water bottles are useless, i don't know why no one has figured out a better design.

we've tried all different types of water bottles and settled on the simpliest and cheapest set up, that is really hard to find around here, and even then they leak...

i find tapping the ball at the end helps, but i find sometimes they just become leaky (weather from dropping or falling off the cage, or overuse) and theres no return when it gets like this... i also find sometimes the thread on the cap breaks and the seal is gone...

don't know what else to suggest, i have the same problem! wish someone would design them better!

Flash Gordon wrote:
i have every water bottle ever made for a small animal.....they all drip...theyll tease u at first and ull get all warm and toasty thinking uve finally found the perfect water dispenser.....then......drip....drip....next thing u know the bunnies are wearing freakin golashes...

i dispise water bottles....so i hafta use crocks...i dispise crocks too...i want a waterbottle that works cuz i know the water in it is clean..crocks and bowls get full of all kinds of crazy stuff so im constantly cleaning them...and i dont know how it happens but their pellets get in their water..ick.....it turns into a swamp.

ive been going rounds with watering divises for awhile now and nothing seems to work...an automatic watering system would be awesome...
i think you should invent something awesome to fix this!

itsazoo wrote:
check the rubber ring in the cap, it often pulls out of place and the bottle will not stop dripping unless is tightly fitted inside the cap..also sometimes the bottle is defective and there is no rubber ring...without that ring it will never work lol

I have loads of water bottles of all differnt kinds and very few of them drip, when they do drain its usually because the gerbils stuffed there bedding inside the tap lol my rabbits each have a bottle and neither bottle drips, both are different kinds and both are betwen 7-10 years old.
i check those rings every time i fill them, i'm a little OCD about it lol.....i think you got lucky with your bottles, what kind you got?

i check those rings every time i fill them, i'm a little OCD about it lol.....i think you got lucky with your bottles, what kind you got?

lucky? lol I have 107 gerbils, 2 steppe lemmings and 2 rabbits...all of them have water bottles and none of the drip. I have no idea what brands they are, the glass ones for a major bottle chewers are Lixit or Superpet, the rest are just $5 plastic bottles from wherever.

If they start dripping at a great rate, they get checked for damage and/or replaced. Usually change out the bedding under that area every couple of days too."You can't depend on anything in this world except thee and me, and sometimes I wonder about thee!"

itsazoo wrote:

lucky? lol I have 107 gerbils, 2 steppe lemmings and 2 rabbits...all of them have water bottles and none of the drip.  I have no idea what brands they are, the glass ones for a major bottle chewers are Lixit or Superpet, the rest are just $5 plastic bottles from wherever.

was that a typo or do you actually have over a hundred gerbils?

Latest posts

Back