Wash bunny's private area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmajane

Reaction score
My little fuzzy holland lop was dragging her legs so I took her to the vet. She said her clitorial area was infected and gave me Antibiotic ointment to put on daily. I was gone gor a week so my husband was applying it. The whole area is a mess with the ointment and dirt stuck to it. We let her out in a playpen to hop around and munch grass.... no chemicals in the grass ..... every day. My question is this.... I am a retired LPN so I think I can tell if we need a vet visit, but I need to wash her whole bottom area and I am not sure how to do it. I know I can't give her a bath. The vet won't be open until Tuesday because of the holiday. BTW. She hops around fine now.

Sometimes if it's not too bad, giving a dry bath is sufficient; uisng baby wipes, clipping out bad bits of fur(very carefully with blunt tip scissors and a comb between the scissors and skin), and a safe dry powder like cornstarch. If a dry bath won't be enough, butt baths are usually ok when it's absolutely necessary.

So that's what I would do. Try the dry bath, and if that can't get it clean enough, give a butt bath(very carefully). If you do give a butt bath, it's important to take all necessary precautions to keep your rabbit safe and minimize the stress of the experience. I would do it on the floor in a dishpan or something similar, where your rabbit is less likely to get injured if she manages to jump out. And making sure to dry the fur thoroughly, but safely at a low temp. You don't want to leave wet fur that could attract flies and risk flystrike.

But if you feel this could overly stress or panic your rabbit, or your rabbit has any heart issues, definitely don't do this until you've consulted with your vet, as there could be a risk of cardiac arrest occurring, which is a definite risk in bathing rabbits, even just a butt bath.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bathing_rabbits

Thanks... I have baby wipes and corn starch. I will try that first. I really appreciate your help.

I am not even sure my husband was putting the ointment on the right place. I have to get her cleaned up and see what we are dealing with.

Latest posts

Back