Was nationwide's pet insurance always this expensive?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokkibada

Reaction score
I recently called nationwide for a quote on my one bunny, unfortunately he had pre existing conditions before I called (a bit of yeast/crust in his ears), and they told me it's going to be $49 a month? I've heard from most people that it's only $12 a month but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, unless if it's the pre existing condition that shot up the price...

Should I give them another call and try to ask about their prices again? They told me the other option they have is one for $42 a month but you'd have to pay about 200+ up front. Are there any other options besides nationwide? Not sure if I can afford these prices which is making me worried.

Nationwide has 3 different pet plans:

They have the basic Avian & Exotic Plan one (which covers accidents, illnesses, and injuries) for $12 per month and $50 deductible per vet visit. A lot of people don't know this yet, but it is soon to be discontinued and everyone on the plan will be switched to the Whole Pet Plan (below) sometime in 2021.

Then they have the Whole Pet Plan for $24 per month and a $250 deductible per year. This includes the majority of major problems listed above, but nothing wellness related, like annual check-ups.

Then there is the most expensive plan, the Whole Pet Plan with Wellness. This covers everything but pre-existing conditions and a few rarer things, and it is $32 per month with $250 yearly deductible also.

For all plans, they cover 90% of costs exceeding the deductible. Nationwide is the main rabbit insurer, but I have not researched it extensively so am not much of a help there. The beginning and only payment is the first month plus about $10 for a reserve (if they cannot contact you for future payments or something). Hopefully this makes it more clear for you. These are quotes for my area (Seattle, WA) and could be different depending on where you are from!

Here is a picture showing what the plans cover for a comparison:
Screenshot_20201017-001533.png

Nationwide has 3 different pet plans:

They have the basic Avian & Exotic Plan one (which covers accidents, illnesses, and injuries) for $12 per month and $50 deductible per vet visit. A lot of people don't know this yet, but it is soon to be discontinued and everyone on the plan will be switched to the Whole Pet Plan (below) sometime in 2021.

Then they have the Whole Pet Plan for $24 per month and a $250 deductible per year. This includes the majority of major problems listed above, but nothing wellness related, like annual check-ups.

Then there is the most expensive plan, the Whole Pet Plan with Wellness. This covers everything but pre-existing conditions and a few rarer things, and it is $32 per month with $250 yearly deductible also.

For all plans, they cover 90% of costs exceeding the deductible. Nationwide is the main rabbit insurer, but I have not researched it extensively so am not much of a help there. The beginning and only payment is the first month plus about $10 for a reserve (if they cannot contact you for future payments or something). Hopefully this makes it more clear for you. These are quotes for my area (Seattle, WA) and could be different depending on where you are from!

Here is a picture showing what the plans cover for a comparison:
View attachment 50988

I see, I'm not sure if location is a big factor that determines the price, do you have an idea what the general prices should be in NYC?

Does anyone know if any of the nationwide exotic plans cover spay? I can't find info online and sat on hold for 45 minutes.
To be honest, I don’t think any insurance plans would. Insurance is mainly used for unprecedented injuries or illnesses

I see, I'm not sure if location is a big factor that determines the price, do you have an idea what the general prices should be in NYC?
I’m in NYC the Whole Pet Plan with Wellness costs me $42 a month I got it in August

Latest posts

Back