Was my rabbit really dead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadd

Reaction score
I know there is another similar thread, but it is quite a few years old. I'm after any real world experience with this, or veterinary advice. I have read quite a few posts the last couple of days on rabbits seemingly coming back to life when the owner thought for sure they were dead.

Our bunny was attacked by a cat at night. Her only visible injury was a slice to her ear. We came out and found her lying there limp and unresponsive, eyes open.
I couldnt see her breathing, chest wasn't moving and her nose wasn't moving. I patted her for a while before wrapping her in a towel. When I moved her, even though she was cold on top (and covered with dew) she was still a bit warm underneath. I then sat with her on my lap for maybe an hour wrapped in the towel while I cried.
When I buried her she still didn't feel completely cold, but I just assumed that was the warmth from my lap. Now I just don't know and am so upset that I didn't try more and check more, and that she was maybe just in deep shock and just needed time. Other posts where they have 'come. Back from the dead' say they were cold and/or stiff. She was still limp and wasn't cold.
I'm am just sick thinking I could maybe have saved her but just buried her too quickly. Could I have been mistaken?

You have to keep in mind that this is the internet and not everything shared is entirely factual. or accurate Your rabbit wasn't breathing and there was no chest movement. Respiratory arrest is a pretty definitely sign of death. If she had just been in shock, there would have still been some chest movement, and an hour sitting with her would have been sufficient time for her to start to be even a little responsive if she was just in shock. You would have noticed.

I'm really sorry. I know how heart breaking it feels when these things happen.

I was just so upset I don't know if I missed something. While I held her in the towel I had her wrapped up, so just don't know if could have been small signs I didn't see.
I did take the towel from her head at one point, and her head still just flopped back, and she had eyelashes stuck to her eye. That just made me sadder so I covered her again.
But I just can't shake the horrible feeling because she still felt warm, and wasn't stiff that I made a mistake.
I'm just beside myself right now

I unfortunately have gone through a few rabbit deaths over the years, and I can tell you with certainty that what you describe does mean your rabbit was deceased. I know it doesn't help in alleviating the hurt of losing her, but you can at least know that you didn't make a mistake in burying her.

It helps relieve the pain that I could have saved her and caused her more suffering instead.
Although I'm not sure I'll ever stop playing it through my mind and being uncertain

I think second guessing is in our nature. I know when I've lost a bun, I go over and over in my head if I could have done anything differently. But there's the saying, 'hindsight's 20/20' It's easier to see what could have been done differently after, but in the moment it's rarely clear and much harder to know.

I'm not aware of any rabbit or mammal that can survive an hour without breathing. Your bunning had definately passed away. The brain can't survive more than a few minutes without oxygen supply.

Latest posts

Back