Walking Dandruff Advice for Rabbits Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightOfHeart

Reaction score
I'm 90% sure my pet rabbits have walking dandruff, Cheyletiellosis but I have an appointment with my Vet for the end of next week to get them checked out for sure that the earliest appointment they had and there aren't many vets where I live that see exotic animals.

Till then they are pretty itchy and it seems to be getting worse I've been brushing them with a fine comb every day but I don't have a flea comb. I feel bad for them since Peter seems pretty itchy and had a spot balding between his shoulder blades. Is there something I can do to give them some comfort and slow the spread before their Vet appointment next week? I called my Vet but they are closed for the next 2 days.

Today I bought some raw oatmeal and cucumber and am soaking it in water like tea I thought I would try putting the water on their skin where it seems dry and itchy to maybe help? and since rabbits can eat cucumbers and sometimes oatmeal I thought it wouldn't harm them if they licked some of it off, does this seem like a good idea? I was just gonna dropper some on their shoulders not give them a bath in it.

I used a pea sized drop of ivermectin paste on the bald spot and it helped to get rid of the mites. make sure that it is beetween their shoulder blades so that they can't lick the paste off.

Last edited:
Don't use home remedies and don't get the skin wet. It can make it worse. You need Revolution from the vet.

Rabbits have different type of fur than cats and dogs
and it dries so much slower than them

Rabbits can die if you give them a bath they can get hypothermia, drown, or die of shock unless they have “poopy butt”. Basically at the very least you’ll traumatize you’re rabbit
The Dangers of Giving a Rabbit a Bath | House Rabbit Society
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/treating-your-pet-rabbit-for-fleas/
I wouldn't give my rabbits a bath since I know they can kill them. I just have a little eyedropper I planned to drop some of the oatmeal/cucumber water on itchy skin just a few drops like lotion.

Update I took the rabbits to the vet and I was right they have walking dandruff and got treatment :3

Latest posts

Back