walk me through this

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I've read the threads, links, and done my own searches about breeding rabbits but I need someone to just go through it all in detail with me. I've got a registered chocolate mini rex doe that is 1 year old, and a registered chocolate mini rex buck that is 2 years old. I also have a few mini rex I'm either not breeding yet due to age or haven't decided if they are good enough to breed at all. So I split a 3x6' solid bottom cage in half and put the 2 oldest does each in one half. The chocolate buck has his own 2x2' wire bottom cage. I just got them and set this all up over the weekend.

To get started how long do I wait before trying to breed them? The doe was very nervous her first day but now seems quite happy with her new home. She's been all over the cage checking things out and lounging in her hay loft. The buck hasn't cared about much of anything since I got him home. He's just sprawled out in his cage unconcerned about seeing dogs, new people, and the porch full of rabbits. The only time he gets excited is when I pull out the rabbit cookies. A local dog bakery makes a wheat and ground flaxseed based cookie for small animals like rabbits and guinea pigs which they all go nuts for.

Any more details on how to be more certain breeding will occur without incident before trying it? I dislike the idea of just sticking the doe in the buck's cage and crossing my fingers that it won't go horribly wrong.

Generally, what most people do is put the doe in the buck cage and watch to make sure nothing goes wrong. Once the doe lifts and the buck breeds her, the doe is removed and then occasionally returned for another breeding a few hours later. Whatever you decide to do, just be sure to NEVER take the buck to the doe! The doe may become territorial and attack. Good luck! =)

Another reason, besides the BIG reason of the doe being territorial, is that a lot of the time that the buck is brought to the doe's cage, he ends up too preoccupied with checking out the different smells etc, and will lose focus on the job at hand. :)

I have bred now a few times, and each time I put the doe with the buck and watch for at least 2-3 breedings (where the doe lifts her hind end and the buck squeaks and falls off). I remove the doe and wait for things to settle down, and within about 3-4 hours I put the doe back with the buck and watch for another breeding or two. I never leave them alone as I like to make sure there was some "try" for the breeding and so no one gets hurt.

I've had good a good litter from this, and I've bred 3 more does, all of whom I've palpated and am 98% sure that they're pregnant. All from doing what I've stated above.

Another thing is to always get the buck and doe's genital area for any signs of sickness or problem PRIOR to breeding. If one has something wrong, you don't want to spread it to the other and then through other breedings, end up spreading it to all of your rabbits.

Most, although not all, of the time you can tell if the doe is willing to breed. Even though she lays down for him, it does not mean she's into the idea. :) I think a good way of telling, is if you see her (when he mounts) lift her hind end up. Other more experienced breeders can offer you more information though. :) Good luck!

Latest posts

Back