Wabbitdads Wabbit Herd

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been so long since I have posted!

Well, I had to make a difficult decision and resign from my 4H Rabbit Club Advisory board. Due to some health and personal reasons I haven't been able to give them the time the club deserved. Its sad, because I love rabbits and working with the 4H club kids.

:welcome2 I'm still relatively new here but welcome back! It is nice to have someplace to go to talk to people who share the same love & interest. Sorry you have had health problems & had to cut back on some of the activities that mean allot to you. I know how that is, I've had to do the same. Hope you will perhaps be able to get back to working with the 4H club kids & helping to teach them about rabbits & their care. There is always a need for knowledgeable people to share their knowledge & love interests with young children & others! Take care & hope you will post as much as you can here! I know I am always in need of more knowledge to be a better bunny mom!

I hadn't planned on adopting a rabbit, but my heart went out to a bunny at a local shelter. Its a bit of a story...

The last couple of days of June was inventory where I work. The last day of inventory was recounts and several of us were sitting around waiting. My supervisor asked me if I wanted to take over some shredded paper in the truck to the local Humane Society, they use it for bedding for small animals. Tired of sitting around, I said sure, while I was unloading the bags I was talking to one of the employees about their rabbits.

She told me that they have had a rabbit there for 2 years waiting to be adopted. The employee said the bunny had bit of a "personality", code for bit of an attitude. The buns name is Jackie and she is a Flemish mix. The shelter said she was found running loose in an apartment by the apartment manager. She was briefly adopted out by a couple who it turned out got her for their 3 year old! She came back a few days later and and she's been at the shelter since.

I talked to my wife and said this poor bunny needs a home. I have had my share of bunny's with attitude, they have been sweet buns, that just had to have love on their terms.

So last Saturday, I went and visited the bun. She is beautiful and sweet, I was able to put her on her back and trance her. Before I left, I filled out adoption papers and if all goes well, I will pick her up Monday or Tuesday.

Aww, congrats. Good for you on adopting the "difficult" bunny that no one else wanted. :)

Oh, wonderful!!!! So glad you found her & I hope all will go well for you to adopt her! Sounds like she just needs a bunny savvy family like yourself & your wife to turn her little bunny life around! Can't wait for more posts about her! Love stories with happy endings or in this case happy beginnings with your family!

I am glad you are trying to adopt her. Too many want a snuggly bun and do not realize that a bun can be very affectionate and loving without being snuggly and our interaction with our furry loved ones at least in some part should be on their terms. I am sure as with dogs most people are not looking to adopt large.

Oh my what an ordeal, like most shelters they are probably understaffed. I started this process to adopt Jackie two weeks ago tomorrow. It took them over 6 days to let me know they needed my dogs rabies vacination records. I faxed them over the weekend and called this past Monday to make sure they received them, they had then I heard nothing all week. So today I called during my lunch and they couldn't find my adoption application and said they would call me back. Luckily they did before I had to go back to work, they said everything was in order and I could pick her up Saturday morning!

I wanted to verify the adoption fee and asked them, they told me the price for a spayed rabbit and the price for a unspayed rabbit. Then they asked me if she was spayed! How would I know, they have had her at the shelter for 2 years, you think they would have known that by now.

The good thing is she will be coming home with me tomorrow to her forever home, where she will have fresh hay and craisins or banana chips at night. I will post a picture of her when I get time.

I am so happy for you but most of all happy for Jackie! That's wonderful for her that she will finally have a forever home with a good slave that knows well how to spoil a bun as it deserves.

When I arrived at the shelter to pick her up on Saturday, the staff was excited to see that she was getting a forever home. She has settled in nicely and is learning that craisins are very yummy.

Presenting Miss Jackie!
Jackie7-14-13.jpg

Oh Dave. So great that you opened your home and your heart to a bunny in need. Poor Jackie. Well her days are about to get better now that she's home. When will we get some more pictures of her? :)

Aww, congrats. She will have a fantastic forever home no! How funny that they asked you whether she was desexed or not!

Wow it has been a long time, too much Facebook I guess, definitely a time for an update.

Our adopted bun Jackie has settled in fine and is enjoying the admiration of Louie, Max and Mr. Handsome.

Lilly who came to live with us last Thanksgiving is Queen of the house and enjoy's the run of the house.

Max when he is not looking out the window in the "bunny room" enjoy's sitting in front of the patio door, surveying the back yard.

Louie the Lionhead spends his time flirting with Lilly and Jackie.

Mr. Handsome, my good looking Flemmie, enjoy's sitting in the sunbeam's in the bunny room and laying in front of Jackie's cage.

My wife has been having a apple for a snack in the evening lately. Lilly bun has decided that she really likes apples and is now demanding the apple core.

One night when my wife decided not to have an apple, Lilly hopped on the couch, telescoped and just stared at my wife until she got up and got an apple for Lilly.

Latest posts

Back