Vitamins for baby bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently took on some foster babies, and have now had them for two weeks (making them now 8 weeks old). On the advice of you guys they are on a relatively normal diet (although in the process of changing over from a mix to something more appropriate for them). They are doing beautifully and thriving, so thank you so much for that.

I also posted previously because there are 4 who are pretty much of a muchness and one teeny tiny bunny.

The teeny one (Wish) has had a few complications since arriving here (bad breathing, gas, some sort of swollen anus issue, hr weight also fluctuates relating to whether its a good or bad day for her and she also needs snugglesafes to keep her warm) and when I consukted my vet he said that due to how different she is and looks, and how much smaller she is (literally half the weight), that she probbaly has something fundamentally wrong inside and he suggested a couple of possibilities which all make logic sense (obviously we won't know unless she dies and I get a necropsy done).

She has very strange fur. Its sort of fluffy (they are lionhead x with a dwarf lop) but very sparse, and the skin underneath the fur is sort of dry. Its definitely not mites or dermatitis or anything like that, and the fur is growing and nothing is falling out. I'm wondering whether this may be due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency because she can't absorb food properly, so is not getting all she needs from the food. So my question is, can I add anything like vitamins to their drinking water (bear in mind all 5 will be having it) to see if we can try and give her an additional boost?

Thanks in advance. I will probably be keeping her when the other 4 are rehomed, but obviously I want to do the best for her.

What age did you get them at? That would help.

Also, how are her back feet. Are they nice and straight, or do they seem a bit different from the others?

Can she see right, or is there any blindness?

How many toenails are on each back and front foot?

The wispy fur struck the idea of max factors in my head... I know that if you let them grow, they can live a decent life (though they're usually blind, with a bit of messed up feet), but I do know that they tend to be small, and live 1/4 to 1/2 of a "full time" life.

They came to me at 6 weeks, but into the rescue at 5.

Her feet and mobility seem fine. They have the right number of toes and are formed ok. The only difference is funny fur on them. Where the 'underneath the foot fur' joins the 'normal fur' (I hope that makes sense), she has a baldy bit, on both back feet.

I don't think she is blind, but I do suspect she may be deaf. Having said that, I was going on the basis that something was not quite right, so it could be sight, although, that seemed to be the unlikelier option of the two from what I was seeing, if that makes sense.

Her physical form is not the same as the others. She's not a complete miniature, her features are more pinched (although her ears are the exact same size as the rest of them) in her face.

I did wonder about Max Factor, but I'm not sure if lops carry that gene? Although, having said that, I was only told dwarf lop and don't really know for sure myself.

One to think on, thanks :)

anything crossed out to dwarfs I would imagine could get it.

I don't have either breed, but "dwarf" anything makes me wonder if in the past, it was crossed out to the ND or something similar.

And NDs are, I believe, one of the lionheads foundation breeds. I would imagine that bad traits may be hiding in there.

Try putting your fingers behind her head, and snapping. Or whistle. All of my babies freak if they hear either. (It's how I check to make sure everyone's okay from the door of my house. One whistle, and everyone stands up to see what's going on. Snapping works for babies who haven't heard it too often, but mine have all grown out of that.

She's definitely not deaf! But something is amiss.

And, with regards to the Max Factor aspect, you are probably right. She has two younger siblings (younger by four weeks), and they are the same as her, but they also have eye problems too.

In which case, would vitamins help in anyway, or not help at all?

Latest posts

Back