Visiting the vet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LetaRayn

Reaction score
Hello

I have a huge problem which is my bunny is sick and he won't let me take him to the vet. It's his first time to go out and No matter how much I tried to track him with treats to get inside the cage he won't get in.

I tried to take him in cartoon box but he didn't get in either. I actually even tried to force him but it was useless as well. The cage is new so I put his blanket in it to make him feel secure but it not working . After that he became scared and hide under the couch for an hour.

He has a very stubborn personality and doesn't do anything he doesn't want to, he is very smart and can't be fooled with the same track two times.

So any tips to make him get in the cage without being scared to death?

You need to bunny burrito him and put him in the carrier. Once he is locked in the carrier, you can unwrap him and lay the towel over the carrier so he can't see out.

The above wrapping advice is of course very good and sensible,but you need to change your own attitude as well.At present you are letting him dictate to you what happens and this is a great mistake.Like a child,you are entirely responsible for his welfare,and ,like a child,there will be times when he doesn't want to comply.You have to toughen up and take the view that it's just tough if he doesn't like what you are doing for his best interests.You are in charge,and whether he likes it or not,where his health is concerned,you have to be the boss.He is obviously the boss at present,and that needs to change.By that I don't mean (and I'm sure there are those who will misunderstand or misquote) that you should be rough or brutal with him,but you need to be firm and confident.He will obviously struggle and resist at first,but you have to toughen up and stop giving in.He will know when this happens believe me,and you will be able to be responsible without being rough with him.There is a world of difference between firmness and brutality,and unfortunately many people can't see the difference,either with children or animals.Good luck.

The above wrapping advice is of course very good and sensible,but you need to change your own attitude as well.At present you are letting him dictate to you what happens and this is a great mistake.Like a child,you are entirely responsible for his welfare,and ,like a child,there will be times when he doesn't want to comply.You have to toughen up and take the view that it's just tough if he doesn't like what you are doing for his best interests.You are in charge,and whether he likes it or not,where his health is concerned,you have to be the boss.He is obviously the boss at present,and that needs to change.By that I don't mean (and I'm sure there are those who will misunderstand or misquote) that you should be rough or brutal with him,but you need to be firm and confident.He will obviously struggle and resist at first,but you have to toughen up and stop giving in.He will know when this happens believe me,and you will be able to be responsible without being rough with him.There is a world of difference between firmness and brutality,and unfortunately many people can't see the difference,either with children or animals.Good luck.
It's a great advice and I know what you mean by taking the charge but I Afraid if I forced him to something he will gets very scared and maybe something not good could happen and I heard that rabbits could die literally. That the only reason is keeping me from taking control cause he get very scared from the smallest things.

Thanks for the reply and I hope you didn't misinterpret what I meant or the way I put it.I wasn't being unfeeling or arrogant,just stating the facts as I've come to know them over many years of looking after animals of all kinds.they really do know when you mean business in terms of being confident and direct with them as opposed to being dithery and reticent.Rabbits will take advantage of someone being hesitant and nervous when picking them up ,and that's when accidents happen through them jumping out of your arms.They need to be very firmly held so that they know they can't move,and this takes concentration on the part of the handler. you're right in saying that they have been known to suffer heart attacks from fright,but it tends to be in the case of sudden shocks such as loud bangs or frightening movements or prolonged fearful situations,such as being handled by strangers at the vets when they've never been fully used to being held,stroked and put at their ease.That's where patience and persistence come in,including not being deterred by a bit of resistance! i know it's easy for me to say but I have done it myself and I know it's easy to give up for fear of upsetting them.Better a bit of upset than illness or death because they won't cooperate. I've found,certainly with my own rabbits,one of which in particular will only be picked up one way(head in the crook of the arm and hand around the posterior then held close to the body), that gently fondling around the ears and stroking around the head while talking quietly,works a treat .Little and often is best at first rather than prolonged holding,as it is too much for them to tolerate.Have patience and you will be rewarded

Whatever you have to do to him, do it with confidence, do not apologize but always give a treat right after it. In my experience rabbits don't hold a grudge when you make things like stuffing them in a box, force feeding, clipping fur around his private parts, giving butt baths etc. etc. undisputable facts of live that are happening without him having a say about it.

When he's scared get it done as swift as possible, don't forget the treat.

As owner for a rabbit for almost one and a half year myself, I got through a lot of troubling considering where I live the culture of having a rabbit as apet is almost rare and most of vets are not really valuing the animals lives so I left alone to take care of him without experienc. You don't need to explained what you said cause after all you trying to do is helping me to take care of my bunny in better way and for that Iam thankful for your advice.

And true he is really taking advantage for getting more treats from other family members cause they are not really firm with him and they tracked by his cuteness and he use that on them 😅

He doesn't let other people who not really used to hold him nor get closer to him and I don't know how really the vet is going to examine him and is onther worry in my list.

Thanks for your advice and your time @john.thorpe1952

Last edited:
Whatever you have to do to him, do it with confidence, do not apologize but always give a treat right after it. In my experience rabbits don't hold a grudge when you make things like stuffing them in a box, force feeding, clipping fur around his private parts, giving butt baths etc. etc. undisputable facts of live that are happening without him having a say about it.

When he's scared get it done as swift as possible, don't forget the treat.

He doesn't hold grudges but only for like ten minutes then I'll forget about it when I give the treat. And I'll keep in mind to make it quick as much as possible. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back