Vision, Smell & Sense Problems (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joleslie

Reaction score
Dora is now 11 years old and over the past couple of months we've felt she was losing vision in her left eye quite rapidly. It has now gotten to the stage where she cannot see any food until it's at the very right of her, and she has to turn almost to look behind her before she can see the food

She doesn't seem to be able to smell or feel that food is in front of her anymore either

Here is a video with a few examples:

We went to the vets a few weeks ago (when it was bad but not quite this bad) and we did a trial of Loxicom as she's also been pooing where she sits, not eating all of her cecotropes, and has lost a lot of weight. They said it may be cancer, may be arthritis, but no way of knowing.

Would love to know if anyone's seen anything like this before?

I had an old bun, that towards the end of her life, she did start acting a little senile and was acting confused like that, about eating and drinking. Though with your bun it's more extreme than it was with mine. Your bun does seem very confused. I think it isn't due to sight or smell, but more neurological. Did the vet do a blood panel to make sure there are no kidney or liver issues contributing to these changes?

If your bun isn't eating well due to this and is losing weight, it would be a good idea to ask your vet about starting regular daily syringe feeds to help keep her weight up and digestion motility normal. If you've ever syringe fed, I would stick with the brand and flavor your bun likes best, so syringe feeding won't be a big struggle.

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/seniors.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Elderly_rabbits

She is still very much herself (excited and runs over when we come in the room, knows what all the noises we make are, wanting to eat etc) and is very aware of the fact that there's food there, but just struggles to find it. I often catch her munching away at her hay throughout the day so she has no problem getting to that, same with her water as she drinks just as regularly, and we're making sure that she is continuing to eat the same amount of pellets and fresh veg as she always has. Though with the pellets and veg as we bring those in to her, we make sure we sit with her to ensure she's managing to find everything (same with when we give her treats)

I was even beginning to wonder if she had lost feeling on her left side as when eating from a bowl of pellets, she often ends up pushing pellets out whilst looking for them, and doesn't even seem to be able to feel when I put a treat on the left side of her face

The vets didn't want to put her out just in case she doesn't come round from it, and I kind of agree. I think it would be a huge risk. They suggested she may have arthritis so gave us Loxicom pain relief to trial for a month, but it didn't seem to make much difference

At the advice of the vet we increased the pellets (doubling them) when we noticed the weight loss, and she's eating it all, but still losing weight

Thank you all for your replies. Sadly Dora passed away yesterday, she was doing really well until Easter Sunday but on Monday took a turn for the worse and got to the stage where she was dropping her food, then was unable to eat and wasn't drinking etc either. We are devastated, she had the greatest personality and will be missed

So sorry to hear you've lost Dora. What a beautiful bunny. She reached a good age and it sound like she had a wonderful happy life with you!
RIP Dora, over the Rainbow Bridge 🌈❤️

Latest posts

Back