Vid of Bunny suddenly grunts and make weird noises and actions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baffling

Reaction score
This bunny is angry but yet still so adorable. Not sure why he is grunting and making weird actions haha

You never responded to the question on your last video post. I've seen 4 different rabbits in your recent videos. How many rabbits do you have?

This rabbit is sneezing. Have you checked for any discharge from nose or eyes? If the discharge is clear, then it could be that he has a tickle in his nose. But if it is milky in color or any other color, then this rabbit has an infection and needs a vet.

One of your prior videos had a rabbit with what sounded like a nasty respiratory infection. Never found out what happened to that rabbit either. But the fact that another rabbit of yours had an infection makes me wonder if this rabbit was infected since snuffles is quite contagious.

You never responded to the question on your last video post. I've seen 4 different rabbits in your recent videos. How many rabbits do you have?

This rabbit is sneezing. Have you checked for any discharge from nose or eyes? If the discharge is clear, then it could be that he has a tickle in his nose. But if it is milky in color or any other color, then this rabbit has an infection and needs a vet.

One of your prior videos had a rabbit with what sounded like a nasty respiratory infection. Never found out what happened to that rabbit either. But the fact that another rabbit of yours had an infection makes me wonder if this rabbit was infected since snuffles is quite contagious.
My female bunny sneeze’s every now and then but not too often. Just when water gets on her nose od when she eats sometimes she sneeze’s. I checked her nose but there was nothing wrong with it.

Should I be concerned?

Oh no worries, actually i was boarding the rabbits. This one I'm pretty sure is not sneezing. No discharge or anything. And I clean and sun dry my cage after each boarding and I only board 1 bunny at a time. Chill anyway, you sounded so interrogatory gosh..

Last edited:
What it does on this video is definitly sneezing. There's a reason he wipes his nose, and he seems to be troubled by something - that behavior would definitly worry me, if it were one of mine it would sit in quarantine right now. When I started with rabbits I had no idea what Myxo is, and 13 of 14 of my rabbits died the first year, might have been different if I had mentioned that one sick wild rabbit I saw close to my home online, someone could have pointed me at the problem.

Of course there might be a harmless explanation for the sneezing, like dusty food, an allergy, or whatever. Or it could be a hint for something serious, since there isn't anything like the common cold for rabbits. Some of my rabbits too sneeze now and then, but not so violent and persistent, and they just continue with whatever they are doing.

Didn't sound too interogatory to me, but the logical questions one would ask if he thinks you're not aware that there could be a real problem getting worse.

At least no other rabbits around, but I would read up on proper decontamination (could be that what you do is fine, I don't know, your setup definitly is easier to clean than my wood hutches) and mention that sneezing to the owner - you don't want to get blamed that the rabbit got infected at your place.

@Reemy: occasional sneezing can happen, as long as it doesn't persist and there is no discharge I don't worry much, would check hay/food for dust or mold. If anything smells moldy or bad better throw the whole batch away.

Last edited:
I always make it a point to inform owners of abnormalies, in fact they can view my videos.

As for infecting, in between the snoring rabbit and this current rabbit. there are 2 more rabbits who have totally no snoring/sneezing symptoms. I take great care to maintain cleanliness and hygiene and their health. I can't help if they came with pre-existing conditions though.

Anyway the bunnies returned to owners fine, and healthy. I think sometimes people need to take a step back and chill :)

If I were looking for someone to board my rabbits and saw your videos, it would give me pause. Not because of the housing conditions which look neat and clean, but because of your apparent lack of knowledge about rabbits. I hope you are willing to learn.

The earlier video of "the snoring rabbit" was so clearly ill that seeing that raspy breathing and the runny eyes interpreted as "funny snoring" was quite concerning. That rabbit was anything but fine and healthy.

And with this video you said you don't think he's sneezing, yet clearly he is doing just that. It could be just a tickle causing the sneezing, but it could be an infection developing. But if you can't recognize a sneeze (or an infection- other video), how can you "maintain their health "?

This forum is here to help us share and learn about rabbits and their care. It is with this spirit that such questions are asked. Being open to learning new things about health or behavior or housing, etc, should be why we are on this forum. I wasn't interrogating you, but asking questions for the rabbits' sake. Hopefully you can receive this information in the spirit intended.

There is always more to learn when it comes to rabbits.

This bunny is angry but yet still so adorable. Not sure why he is grunting and making weird actions haha

So just to help explain the behavior this rabbit is exhibiting. It's not angry or grunting. You can see the rabbit sneezing for the first several seconds of the video, then the rest of the time it is exhibiting some amount of panic as it hops around trying to clear the nasal passage because it is probably partially obstructed with mucous/infection or a foreign object like hay, and this rabbit is probably struggling to breath properly and get enough air. The rabbit repeatedly reaching his paws towards his face is him attempting to try to clear his airway so he can breath normally. If he returned to normal after this it is probably because he managed to expel the mucous/infection or object blocking his airway.

As the others have mentioned, there is a possibility this rabbit could have a bacterial respiratory infection that would need treatment and antibiotics from a knowledgeable rabbit vet, or he could have had something in his nasal passage like hay, that he managed to clear himself.

If this was a rabbit you were boarding, I would suggest contacting the owner and making them aware of the sneezing episode, and share the video with them so they can see for themselves. If it was a one time thing then it was probably just a temporary obstruction like hay, but if the owners are seeing frequent sneezing episodes like this from their rabbit, I would suggest to them that it would be a good idea to have their bun seen by a rabbit savvy vet right away in case it is a respiratory infection. Because if it is, it will usually continue to worsen, the bacterial infection can spread to other areas, and can even end up destroying the rabbits nasal passage, without getting the infection properly treated with antibiotics.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Everyone is just trying to help. We saw the video and recognized that the behavior wasn't normal rabbit behavior, but was an indication of a possible health problem. So we just want to make you aware of this in case you hadn't realized that's what was going on.

If I were looking for someone to board my rabbits and saw your videos, it would give me pause. Not because of the housing conditions which look neat and clean, but because of your apparent lack of knowledge about rabbits. I hope you are willing to learn.

The earlier video of "the snoring rabbit" was so clearly ill that seeing that raspy breathing and the runny eyes interpreted as "funny snoring" was quite concerning. That rabbit was anything but fine and healthy.

And with this video you said you don't think he's sneezing, yet clearly he is doing just that. It could be just a tickle causing the sneezing, but it could be an infection developing. But if you can't recognize a sneeze (or an infection- other video), how can you "maintain their health "?

This forum is here to help us share and learn about rabbits and their care. It is with this spirit that such questions are asked. Being open to learning new things about health or behavior or housing, etc, should be why we are on this forum. I wasn't interrogating you, but asking questions for the rabbits' sake. Hopefully you can receive this information in the spirit intended.

There is always more to learn when it comes to rabbits.

"You never responded to the question on your last video post. I've seen 4 different rabbits in your recent videos. How many rabbits do you have?"

the above sounds very interrogatory, didn't expect rabbit lovers to be so overbearing, in my community we have very knowledgeable people who don't behave like some authoritative figure. You are the first I have seen behaving in this manner, what a pity and shame.

also, there is no more episodes of sneezing. So I guess u overreacted?

Also, no worries on my boarding duties, it is pretty brisk. No one paused, but instead more came :)

the rabbits all left and still living as normal.

Last edited:
I am out of this lecturing (unsolicited) thread and carry on playing with bunnies:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back