Veterinarian/ Veterinarian Assistant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone knew any links, or information about it?

I'm still figuring out what I might like to do in life, and I wouldlike to look into some options. I'd love to work with animals, and Ilove working with people so when I looked into Veterinarian Assistantit seemed like a career I might like to do.

I know youhave to gothrough 8+ years and thousandsof dollarsfor school to become a vet, so I was consideringmaybe a Vet assistant job. Ithinkit's a yearcourse. I still don't know, but I have a few outlines forlife:).

Thanks!

I believe the program for the veterinarytechnician certification is 2 years. There are some technicians who arenot certified and just as competant, however, they tend to have a lowersalary than a certified technician. I plan to be a vet myself, but if Ican't come up with enough $$ for college, I'll probably be a tech.

Cool its good that you want to work withanimals! :DI wanted tobe a dog trainer, but Isomehow gave up a while ago. I wish I hadnt now.

The only problem with working with animals is the pay is rubbish, butits all about enjoying yourself. And knowing that you havesaved an animals life is such a nice feeling.

All I can say is good luck and I wish you well in your career! :D:D

Thanks! I rather be in a job I like and get paidless then to be in a job I hate and get paid plenty. At the end of theday that's all that matters in the long run :). But with the risingcost of living, I'm starting to rethink that! I'll have to see when Iget older and see if there's any scholarships are anything.

Is there any course out there that works with small animals? I know you can if your a vet get an extra course in exotics.

I am an older member of this forum and actuallyam educated as aRN..I worked in hospital psychiatry for manyyears. Although the job was extremely rewarding it was emotionallyexhausting. Now my main interest is animals. Although many people woulddisagree I feel that it is better to follow your heart when exploringcareers than "where tha money is". When I am working with animals itdoesn't feel like work" it feels like something I would do for nothing.It seems to me that it is more healthy to be "centered" than wealthy.

This might sound dumb, but what is RN?:tongue

I agree, it's better to love what you do for work, then to hate it nomatter what price is attatched. I'm still doing my homework on seeingany careers that involve animals. Being with animals is what I love,and I couldn't even picture me without my rabbits or my dog! They're asmuch a part of me as my leg! :group:)

I'm going to phone on Monday to see about this youth program going onat an SPCA near me. I'd love to volunteer at a shelter, even more so ifthey had rabbits! Most SPCA's you need to be 16 to volunteer so I'llhave to wait a bit to see. Even if I just clean out the cages I'd behappy with that! I'll just have to wait and see :).

:thanks:Everyone!

Yes I totally agree with you all. Its not the money that counts, its the experience's.

I use to do an animal care course at college but I didnt like it therebecause they made us clean out the animals every single day, which Iknow you need to with animals, but I wanted to learn about animals, nothow bad poo can smell lol. They also taught us how to brick lay, andhow to fill in pot holes rather than how to care aboutanimals.So I learnt nothing that year as I alreadyknew how to muck out. Oh not forgetting I DID learn how to build awall!

So I started a different college doing food preperation and bar work.Which I really enjoy, but I still want to be a dog trainer. lol Whichis why I do volunteer work at my local kennels. So much fun :D

I bid you luck in your career! XxXxXx Animals are so amazing to work with.

You shouldnt re-consider your career because of money problems, Just marry someone with lots of money ;)

Or win the lottry! Darn, I wish I had some old uncle about to pass away with a large fortune.. just joking! :D

I'm nervous to phone the spca about the youth program... Iget nervous and blank out when I'm talking to someone I don't know onthe phone.. I don't want to look like a twit! :D

:embarrassed:

Why dont you go round there personaly? I get nervous on the phone too, but when I am in person with someone I feel better.

Thats also what I did when I asked to volunteer at my localkennels. While I was waiting for someone to come and talk tome, they could see how crazy I was about dogs as I was screaming AWWWW!at all the doggies in the yard lol.

I should. I just don't know what they'd say..the first impressions probably aren't the correct ones aboutmyself.I'll have to figure out what I might say. Ijust want to help animals.. even if its cleaning cages. They have a lotof rabbtis in the SPCA near me.. do you think they might need somehelp? With cleaning and socializing with the rabbits? That'd be a dreamof mine to work with a lot of rabbits in a shelter.

I'll talk with my mom, they close (I think) in 45 minutes so I might have to wait until tomorrow.

Here's the link to the SPCA I was looking into

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/BC29.html

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/BC29.html#volunteerthat'sthe section I was looking at.

Just incase you'd like to see :)

Aww cool. It depends how nice the people thereare. I have to be insured by the kennels by their expencises,but they get the help out of it so they are fine with it.

Even if you did volunteer work there weekends and got another job itwould still be helping them out and helping the animals. Alotof rescue centre are run totally by volunteers in England.And they always need more people. I hope your trip goes welltomorow if you do go.

Just tell them what you have told us and you should be fine ;) Goodluck

I asked my mom and she said I can't go theretomorrow. My mom said she's too busy and I might have to wait unitlschools over when I have more time. I'll keep looking around and askingher. Even if I do have to wait, there's only 5 more weeks of school. Ijust hope she lets me. I don't think she understands how much I want toget involved in this kind of thing. I wish I was older and had a carthen I wouldn't feel as frustrated!

Well I guess better late then never. ;)

Here is a couple of pretty good websites

http://www.vetinfo.com/vettech
or
http://www.avma.org
or
www.vettech.com (this is a really good one)

There are some schools that you can get your bachelors degreein vet tech and after you graduate you will be considered a vettechnologist compared to a vet technician. But you have to go fouryears instead of two. Right now I am going to school to become a vetand a lot of my class mates have chosen to switch to vet techs becauseof the length of school and the money issue. But either way you canwork with the animals and do so much, not only in an animal hospital.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks a ton for the websites! Just what I was looking for! Will have a peep at them later! :)

Just a question, how long is the course to become a veterinarian where you'r training?

Well you have to do your undergrad work, whichis what i am doing now, and that takes about 4 years. Thenafter you graduate with you degree you apply to vet school and if youget in, it can take about another 4yrs and about 60,000 dollars,probably more now!:? And with the vet tech program at myschool its 4yrs and you take the state boards and are considered to bea vet technologist. Supposedly (per one of my professors) changes aretrying to be made to recognize the people who went the whole 4 yrsopposed to the 2 yr for the tech.

Latest posts

Back