~Vet visits~

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilfly

Reaction score
Sam has now been to the vets twice now. (for myxand VHD vaccinations). Both times when the vets try to get her out hercarry box she freaks out. The first time the vet just put her hands inand tried to grab her and Sam got terrified and scratched the vet andwriggled about really violently. Then the Vet manged to pin Sam to thetable and check her over.(this vet has 5 rabbits).

The second visit was yesterday and we were seen by a different vet. Shewas a bit more gentle. She put her face down to the box and said hello,Sam moved to the back of the box so the vet just grabbed her. When shegot her out she was wriggling all over the place again. The vet wasonly just able to keep a hold of her- with her front legs in one handand the back in the other. Sam was flapping about really violently, herlegs were snapping back and forward. She was finally pinned to thetable. Her eyes were bulging out her wee face and i could see they wereall red. It was horrible to see her like that.

On both visits to vets Sam wandered back into her box and i picked herout with great ease. Also when we got her home her face, round hermouth has been wet. (on both occasions)

Should I offer to take her out the box on future to the vets?

Do other rabbits behave like this?

Is the wet mouth thing because she is terrified?

The drive to the vets only takes 3-4mins.

-Gillian

I think it would be less stressful for your bun,that if in future, you handle you bun. It seems obvious thatshe gets fearful of the vets.

With you handling her, it would less stressful for you both.

My vet only handles my girls when it is an absolute muss, apart from that, I do the handling.

As for the wet mouth, the only thing I can think of is that it is dueto the traveling. I know sometimes with Loopy, when I havehad her out with me, she gets a bit wet round the mouth. Similar to adog when they are in the car.

I hope I have been of some help to you.

~Zara

Edit : I don't use a box for the girls. I have themsitting on my lap, or with Loo, she likes to sit high up in my arms soshe can see out the window.

If your driving, try her without the box, but with a harness on.Perhaps she has a slight fear to the box also, in which case, tryhaving the box out and open, so she can go in and out as she pleases.Also try placing one of her favourite treats in the box too.

This will help her get used to the box, and maybe reduce some of the stress she may have.

I would suggest you getting her out forsure....mine seem to get a bit nervous about the overall box thing...IALWAYS get them out and talk to them etc before the vet even comes inthe room...I've never had a big issue this way....of course Corky wentto the vet so much he got to know him..and even gives him kissesnow...LOL

My vet's assistants have always asked me to takethe bunnies out of their carriers. It seems to work the bestthat way...:?

Mine had me take them out and hold them for somethings like listening to the heart. She only picked Mocha upto do the full body check.

I'd say the vets should've suggested that youhold Sam in the first place. PuterGeekGirl has a good idea to take themout beforehand and calm them down a bit. If the vet insists that he orshe hold Sam, explain why it's not a good idea and if they persist,maybe it's time to find a better vet? It just seems like, why would avet want to cause undue stress to an animal?

As soon as I am in the examining room, I pop thebun in question out of the box and onto a towel. Talking tothe bun until the vet arrives. I usually bring some treatbribes too =)

Havent had too much of an issue... just the first time Guinevere gotspooked and jumped on my shoulder. After a couple of minutesshe was busy kissing the vet :p

Thanks for all the advice! I will get Sam out ofthe box in future. However the vet is in the room when we comein....so....i guess i will either have to be quick to get her out orjust say to the vet!

What do u guys put in the carry box? I put down newspaper then cover itwith the usual sawdust stuff. This tends to go all over the vets tablethough!

-Gillian

Even though I do not use one, I have seen peoplethat use hay/straw or an old towel. At least with an oldotwel, it is easy to wash if there is any accidents.

Gilfly wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! Iwill get Sam out of the box in future. However the vet is in the roomwhen we come in....so....i guess i will either have to be quick to gether out or just say to the vet!

What do u guys put in the carry box? I put down newspaper then cover itwith the usual sawdust stuff. This tends to go all over the vets tablethough!

-Gillian

I would take out any smallpet from thecarrier (cat, guinea pig, ferret, rabbit)and place them onthe exam table for the vet to examine. Act like it is no bigdeal when you do this and talk calmly to them.

Vash is so big and calm, that I just place him in a low-sided plasticcontainer with newspaper and old towels in it and fasten the seat beltaround the box. If it is a short trip, I usually just lay anold towel on the seat and justs lays there like a furry log. :p

Corky's the same way, after SO many vet trips,he just rides in the seat next to me when we go places. LOL...he's evenso calm about it he'll clean himself while on the road...haha.

Latest posts

Back