Vet couldn’t guess Breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my bunny rabbit Twinkie. He’s about 7 pounds and is 20 inches from nose to tail when fully stretched out. His ears are quite large at 4.5 inches and they have black tips. I’m guessing he said either Fawn or palomino and his underside is white. His fur is normal rabbit fur and he has brown eyes. The vet had no idea what his breed was but said he’s fully grown. Hoping someone here can help me out.
upload_2018-10-7_18-57-27.jpeg

He looks to me like he's part the same as my rabbit (1st photo) and part cottontail (2nd photo). :) Of course he can't be part cottontail since cottontails can't breed with domestic (European) rabbits. (And I've never seen a cottontail at 7 lbs.! They're less than half that size.)

Mine also has a white belly - he's just a mix breed rabbit. RO members surmised he was part rex or mini-rex but his fur is not velvety rex fur.

I'll leave actual breed ID to our breed experts...

upload_2018-10-7_19-41-45.png

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5MC8xMzQvb3JpZ2luYWwvcmFiYml0LmpwZw==

He does look a lot like a Standard Rex mix, and I believe not all Rex mixes have Rex fur. My baby girl, Oreo is half Mini Rex, half Dutch and her fur is like a regular bunny's, but a little long. He is so cute!

Attachments

• 20181007_201924.jpg
    20181007_201924.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20181007_201936.jpg
    20181007_201936.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
Looks a lot like our boy, Cosmo, except Cosmo is more a Palomino color with dark highlights at the tip of his ears and also has a white belly, and a whole lot of attitude. He's a rescue brought to us from several hundred miles away via "Operation Roger" and a long haul trucker couple.

To the OP, the coloring is agouti, or chestnut agouti. There are a number of breeds in that variety but yours doesn’t really stand out as being one particular breed.

This is my bunny rabbit Twinkie. He’s about 7 pounds and is 20 inches from nose to tail when fully stretched out. His ears are quite large at 4.5 inches and they have black tips. I’m guessing he said either Fawn or palomino and his underside is white. His fur is normal rabbit fur and he has brown eyes. The vet had no idea what his breed was but said he’s fully grown. Hoping someone here can help me out.
View attachment 38377
Your bunny looks like he has a lot of the Rex breed in him

Latest posts

Back