vet check up 5 week old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetjenessa

Reaction score
I recently got a 5 week old bunny 2 days ago, who was weaned at 3 weeks, so far bunny seems ok,
but bunny has been scratching his ears, one ear is up, one ear is down, bunny is mixed with Rex/ dawrf lop
So I'm not sure if that's normal.
Being weaned so young is a concern of mine, as for development.

Being 5 weeks, should I take my bunny to the vet? Just for a check up? Or is bunny to young to find anything wrong?

Also at what age should I get him/her fixed?
I also want to take bunny to vet to find out if bunny is a girl or boy, that way bunny has an official name.

I wouldn't take him, he sounds normal and healthy. :) I have no idea on spaying/neutering. Do you know how to check if its a male or female? I have pictures of telling gender on 4 day old babies on my blog and would be happy to help you determine what your new bunny is if you need any help. I don't have any rabbits that are the same age as yours right now but I could take pics of 3 month old babies.

I would love your help I tried checking bunny but, I'm confussed Lol... I don't know how to check.
I was planning on a vet check because of his ears, one is up one is Dow, sometimes he scratchs it not sure if it can be mites or just cleaning. I guess I'm being paranoid Lol
How do I get to your Blog?

If you think he may have ear mites then its probably best to get it checked. An ear infection can lead to wry neck, ect. You could just look in his ear and see if there is any redness or if it is inflamed or hot to the touch. The one ear up and other down is very common in lop babies. His ears are just trying to decide which way to go.;-) You can visit my homepage link in my profile and there will be a link to the blog on there.

:)

The way to tell the sex of a bunny is

girl= taco
boy= doughnut

A check up to make sure that he/she is healthy would be a good idea. Make sure that the vet is knowledgeable in rabbits. Sees rabbits on a regular basis. If you were here I could point you to a few rabbit knowledgeable vets as I know a couple up here.

Also I would feed the bunny alfalfa hay, as it contains calcium. Feed the alfalfa hay until your bunny is 6 months old then switch slowly to timothy hay, orchard grass hay. Or you can give the bunny a mixture of alfalfa hay and the other hay, so that when you switch, you don't have to worry about doing it for a few weeks.

Spaying/neutering should be done about 4-6 months of age. If your bunny is a boy then the testicles will drop around that time. If your bunny is a girl then getting her spayed around that time will prevent uterine cancer which can be deadly.

I found a vet who works on rabbits in my area. The exam would cost 35$ good deal?
Right now my rabbit been eating Timothy hay
Is that ok until I can get alfalfa?
I guess I should mix both, for how long until I can only give him alfalfa?

And how long would the Timothy hay be fresh for? I bought bulk, for an older rabbit who passed 3 days ago so I have plenty

I buy hay in bulk from online at Kleenmammas and it lasts about a year. It stays fresh too. As long as the hay doesn't get wet then it will stay fresh a long time. Timothy hay is good.

Sweetie wrote:

girl= taco
boy= doughnut

A check up to make sure that he/she is healthy would be a good idea. Make sure that the vet is knowledgeable in rabbits. Sees rabbits on a regular basis. If you were here I could point you to a few rabbit knowledgeable vets as I know a couple up here.

Also I would feed the bunny alfalfa hay, as it contains calcium. Feed the alfalfa hay until your bunny is 6 months old then switch slowly to timothy hay, orchard grass hay. Or you can give the bunny a mixture of alfalfa hay and the other hay, so that when you switch, you don't have to worry about doing it for a few weeks.

Spaying/neutering should be done about 4-6 months of age. If your bunny is a boy then the testicles will drop around that time. If your bunny is a girl then getting her spayed around that time will prevent uterine cancer which can be deadly.

:yeahthat:

you can give timothy and alfalfa mixed but if you have been feeding solely timothy hay mix in alfalfa slowly so the little one can get used to it.

This rabbit was really separated from his mom too young. Be really careful what you feed him (plenty of hay)..absolutely no greens . You may also want to give a probiotic like benebac. A kit shuld be with the doe until 8 weeks so your baby has missed out on a lot of gut stabilizing nutrients in the doe's milk
Make sure that you visit a vet who is knowledgeable about rabbits.

Good Luck !

planetjenessa wrote:
I found a vet who works on rabbits in my area. The exam would cost 35$ good deal?
Right now my rabbit been eating Timothy hay
Is that ok until I can get alfalfa?
I guess I should mix both, for how long until I can only give him alfalfa?

And how long would the Timothy hay be fresh for? I bought bulk, for an older rabbit who passed 3 days ago so I have plenty

$35? That sounds really good. My vet charges $55 for an office visit. =P

Sweetie wrote:

girl= taco
boy= doughnut

Ok, I looked "down there" still couldn't tell... but I seen a "hole" and something pooked out... I think I have a BOY!!! YAY

Post a pic of it and maybe we can help you with sexing your bunny. I, along with others on here, are really good at sexing bunnies.

If you do have a boy, they are cheaper to get fixed than females.

A vet check is always a good thing with a new bunny. Our vet told us to give Alfalfa Hay and pellets till their six months and them transition them to Timothy Hay and veggies. Neutering can be done at 4 month or in the case of a male, when they show they can go.

If I post pics of my 12 day old rabbits can someone tell me the sex? I've tried looking at pics online but I can't tell for sure. HELP!

This is an old thread. It would be best to create your own thread in the appropriate forum. Rabbitry and Showroom would probably be the best place to get your question answered.

Latest posts

Back