Vet asking for social security number

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny34422

Reaction score
Hey guys, I made an appointment with a new vet for Timothy in late March, so my family and I have been looking at their new patient registration form. We don't remember giving a social security number or driver's license ID to any previous vets we've been to, so we're just wondering if this is a common thing for vets to ask for? Did you guys have to share yours as well? I did some googling and I see it may be for collection reasons in case someone fails to pay the bill, but my parents were still a little confused on why/if they really need that sort of information.

Thank you! :)

Just tell them you prefer not to give out that information and pay the bill before you leave their office. I've never given a vet my SS# or been asked for it. Nor would I feel comfortable providing it. Though a DL# I would feel more comfortable providing, as it just verifies your identity and address.

Yep since we're a new client we've already made a deposit last week. I think we'll just leave the SSN part blank but provide the DL number. Thanks! :)

It's smart of you not to comply with that. I think that lots of old forms still have a SS# field, even though it's no longer advisable to ask for it. Since it's very hard for most small businesses to secure their data well, it's best not to supply sensitive information unless you absolutely have to.

Latest posts

Back