Very worried bun parent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabrina92

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got a Holland lop bunny and this is my first ever pet. I went out for the first time in a week for a few hours due to it being my birthday brunch. I made sure she had food, water and space to run around. The second brunch was done I rushed home. I came home and Holly seemed happy and healthy hopping around and eating pellets and using the restroom. Now she is lying on the floor and I am worried, I do not know if something is wrong or I am just being paranoid. It might just be me being extra worried but I want to make sure. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• C91CABAC-7BD2-4B6D-8103-3C6B219A856D.jpeg
    C91CABAC-7BD2-4B6D-8103-3C6B219A856D.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3DCD0D0B-4FCA-4174-AF30-7EE219CE9C1D.jpeg
    3DCD0D0B-4FCA-4174-AF30-7EE219CE9C1D.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 73DF5B26-A337-4A58-98EE-EE12139670E9.jpeg
    73DF5B26-A337-4A58-98EE-EE12139670E9.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 6
  • AD36A95B-9DFB-48E0-A3C8-53BA93304518.jpeg
    AD36A95B-9DFB-48E0-A3C8-53BA93304518.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 5
  • F1C56EA2-AD41-400C-ACEE-1AB36E85B214.jpeg
    F1C56EA2-AD41-400C-ACEE-1AB36E85B214.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 6
Did it get warmer where you live in the last week? Rabbits lounge a lot and are less active when it's warm during daytime. They start to feel the heat at about 25°C, at 30° they pretty much do nothing. Seems she found herself a cool spot there.
Did you change anything in her diet? What are you feeding, is it what she grew up with?

For how long is she less active, is she still eating, drinking and pooping?
If she is eating, but less, I would give some Simethicone drops (Infant gas reliefe drops, about 10-20mg) to keep gas from building up, and make her move now and then, and giving soft belly massages (just putting the fingers under/beside her belly and working gently, or putting the rabbit on the your knee, facing you, and rocking the whole rabbit - you'll see if it feels good or not). And enticing her to eat her hay by holding some right in front of her nose now and then. I would also put a bowl of water right beside her.

If she doesn't eat anything and just sits in that corner, and nothing of the above helps, I would see a vet asap.

She looks mostly relaxed it might just be warmer so she’s laying around more, has she bin laying on the tile long? Generally tile is cooler than wood or carpet floors

She looks happy and comfortable to me, all flopped out. She's even grooming, which means she can't be feeling too uncomfortable.

Did it get warmer where you live in the last week? Rabbits lounge a lot and are less active when it's warm during daytime. They start to feel the heat at about 25°C, at 30° they pretty much do nothing. Seems she found herself a cool spot there.
Did you change anything in her diet? What are you feeding, is it what she grew up with?

For how long is she less active, is she still eating, drinking and pooping?
If she is eating, but less, I would give some Simethicone drops (Infant gas reliefe drops, about 10-20mg) to keep gas from building up, and make her move now and then, and giving soft belly massages (just putting the fingers under/beside her belly and working gently, or putting the rabbit on the your knee, facing you, and rocking the whole rabbit - you'll see if it feels good or not). And enticing her to eat her hay by holding some right in front of her nose now and then. I would also put a bowl of water right beside her.

If she doesn't eat anything and just sits in that corner, and nothing of the above helps, I would see a vet asap.
Hello! Yes, the last three days were on the warmer side. Warmest we’ve seen in a while. I mixed her old pellets that the breeder provided with the new oxbow young rabbit pellets and the oxbow Alfalfa hay. Twice I gave her an oxbow freeze dried banana treat. She was still eating and pooping, I try and entice her with more water and Change it every
Few hours but she does not drink as much as I feel she should. She was less active for 20-30mins last night and then got a burst of energy. I was just worried because I haven’t seen her like that before. I have seen her flop down and rest but this was just different to me and I was worried. Thank you for the advice!

She looks mostly relaxed it might just be warmer so she’s laying around more, has she bin laying on the tile long? Generally tile is cooler than wood or carpet floors
When I first got her she played around and liked the tile but slept in her cage. Day 3 she started to sleep in the bathroom on the tile and it’s her favorite spot behind the toilet or in the shower. I assumed she just liked the cold floor and the darkness. It was not unusual for her to be there it just scared me since I had not seen her in those types of positions with her eyes like that before. She stayed in those positions for 10-20mins then hopped around for a bit before settling there for the night

Our avatar Nikki used to just about live behind the toilet--cool, shaded, and quiet. If she'd had food and water there we probably would have never seen her. She used to like getting under my recliner til I boxed it off. Each of our rabbits had a different favorite "spot".

Latest posts

Back