Very weird poop? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madelyn L.

Reaction score
My bunny has been pooping some very irregular poops lately! I’m worried there is something wrong! Please, does anybody know why he has such strange poop? He doesn’t seem to be in any sort of pain, he’s completely active, eating fine, drinking fine, peeing fine, but he’s stretched a bit more than usual. He hasn’t loafed or shown any sign of gasiness. I’m going to attach pictures of his poop below. I’ve had one of these large poops another time too, and @JBun said it was just a small blockage he had passed. I’m really worried because he is having weird poops a lot more than usual! Please help! image.jpg

Had you started feeding anything new or different around the time you started seeing the odd poop? Any changes in your rabbits environment or routine that could be stressing him? Any threads of mucous in the poop, or just irregular shapes? Also try and check fresh new droppings immediately after they're expelled, for any signs of pinworms. Here's what they would look like.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm

@JBun- I have started feeding him baby spring mix about two months ago, and he hasn’t really had any problems up until the past few days. I took him outside a few days ago, but I had already seen weird poops before he went outside. There isn’t any mucus, just odd shapes. I have been looking for worms and I don’t see any. Could he be ingesting too much fur? I recently posted on another thread about how my bun is constantly scratching and grooming his ears. @Mariam+Theo i think it was, said it was ear mites. Is he overly grooming his facial area in an attempt to get rid of the mites?
@ladysown- he is 7 months going on 8 and he hasn’t been neutered. However we have one scheduled feb. 5

Just a question. You say he's eating fine. Other than spring mix, what is his diet like. Is he eating hay and how much?

He eats his hay a lot. He has 1/8 cup of pellets in the morning with small amount of greens, then only around 20 pellets total with lots of greens for supper.

He eats his hay a lot. He has 1/8 cup of pellets in the morning with small amount of greens, then only around 20 pellets total with lots of greens for supper.

Well, I would say just make sure he's continuing to eat hay and drink water. You may want to try taking away the pellets for a day or two to see if that changes anything. But, you have the appointment on Feb 5, so you could ask the vet then about the poop issue. If he stops pooping or eating before then, you would have to take him in right away.

could simply be a matter of hormones messing with how his poops come out. I wouldn't worry on them.

Is he shedding? Theo always has this issue when he is shedding. Pull apart the poops and see if they are full of fur. If the poops are full of fur it is probably that he is ingesting too much when grooming himself. I would start brushing him more often so he doesn't get a blockage and start giving him some papaya tablets to break down some of the fur. Since he has ear mites he could be overly grooming his ears.

If he isn't shedding then I don't know what is wrong. His diet sounds perfect. I don't think that this and ear mites are at all related unless the stress from the ear mites is causing misshapen poop.

Good news wrt normal shaped brown marbles (poo). I hope he'll place plenty in his litter box each day. Also hope your boy will quickly reingest his nutrition packed cecotropes for optimal health.

Excellent to spend time brushing your boy. It's very comforting to gently brush somebun sitting on your lap.

Latest posts

Back