Very tiny bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrhtak29

Reaction score
Hello!
I just recently adopted a very young very small baby bunny. I think she’s a girl but it’s too early to tell, fingers crossed though because I want to name her Lilly (lol)
My problem I’ve had within this first week with her home, she escapes from her cage!
I don’t exactly want to cage her, but she’s so small and not completely liter trained just yet. She fits through the organize it cubes I have zip tied together. I even have a crib bumper tied to the bottom. She’s a ninja and is somehow still escaping.
She’s also eating the cats food!!!!
——-Does anyone have any recommendations other than buying a whole new “cage”. I’m definitely gonna scope my local goodwills for alternatives. The cubes just give me the opportunity to create new cages as they grow older.

If she is older than 6 weeks you should be able to tell if she is younger than this it is most likely that it was illegal to sell them. I know in Kentucky you can't sell a bunny under 8 weeks but most of the time they are completely weaned by 6 weeks and if she was any younger she needed to stay with her mom. Until she is litter trained you have no other choice but to cage her and litter box training may not be perfect until she is spayed. If you flip her over and lift up the flap so you can see her anus and genitals, you may have to put some pressure, if there is a slit it is female if there is a tube its male. If she is very young(under 4 weeks it is not possible yet) I would not attempt to sex her.

I just want to point out that it can be very difficult to tell the difference if you don’t have any experience, so you should take her to a rabbit knowledgable vet or breeder if you want a better idea or you aren’t sure.
As for the cage, could you send us a photo of the set up please?

Zip tie cardboard to the panels. Make sure it's high enough up that she can't jump up on the wire grid to get out. Other option is buying 1/4 or 1/2 inch wire mesh and zip tie it to the panels, but if you use this you need to flush cut the wire or it creates very sharp edges/points that could cause injuries to you and/or your bun.

Hello!
I just recently adopted a very young very small baby bunny. I think she’s a girl but it’s too early to tell, fingers crossed though because I want to name her Lilly (lol)
Just adopted 10 weeks old myself I find this short video very helpful although I am not 100% sure myself!
Mine is also very tiny she's lionhead and dwarf mix, well I keep hoping it's she :))

Latest posts

Back